RISE Translation: I can not import the XLF File in the copied course

Mar 03, 2022

Hi I have a problem with the translation into a copied course. The translation in the original course was successfully, but I have to translate 2 languages! 

(Unfortunately it is not an option to make the XLF File again from a copied course!)

Thanks a lot

Ines

5 Replies
Marcel Reinert

Hi Ines,

so quite I do not understand the problem, so the question: why is it not possible (not wanted) to copy the course again and edit these xliff?

The exported XLIFF always belongs directly to a course. It contains the IDs for the blocks and texts. If you create a second copy of a course, you cannot use the XLIFF from the first copy, because the IDs no longer match and an import fails.

My approach would be: to copy the original course 2 times and thus translate both from the original language.

Marcel Reinert

Ok, i see the problem.

You have 2 language files based on one (original) course. So you can only replace the original course with one of the two languages. If you now copy the English course again and then try to integrate Arabic there, it will not work because of the said affiliation of the XLF and the IDs.

You must first copy the English course into "Spanish course" and into "Arabic course" and then export the XLF and translate it.

The only possibility I see now - without translating it again - is that you translate it manually. Create a copy for Arabic, open the Arabic XLF from the agency with a text editor and then edit the individual blocks yourself.

Britta Strunk

Rise changes every XLIFF element's ID on every copy, just as it changes every element's id on every export, which is ridiculous, annoying and definitely not good practice.

For the current case the solution was rather easy:

1. make a copy of the original training and use that as the EN version from now

2. import the first translation into the original training >> language A

3. make a copy of the  language A training

4. import the second translation into the original training

So basically, all translations are imported into the the original training and then a copy is made after each import.