SCORM Rise course not loading

Feb 04, 2019

We have a case of a Rise course not loading. We are using moodle LMS and loading the course as Scorm.

In our case all other users can access the content, and the users affected report that initially they could load the content before the course was updated, but now can not.

Clearing a persons results seems to work.

The error it gives is:

main.bundle.js:119 TypeError: Cannot read property 'index' of undefined
at main.bundle.js:6
at t (main.bundle.js:6)
at new n (main.bundle.js:119)
at pn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Nn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Dn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Zn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Jn (main.bundle.js:119)
at yr (main.bundle.js:119)
at vr (main.bundle.js:119)
Fn @ main.bundle.js:119
12:47:16.852 main.bundle.js:6 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'index' of undefined
at main.bundle.js:6
at t (main.bundle.js:6)
at new n (main.bundle.js:119)
at pn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Nn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Dn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Zn (main.bundle.js:119)
at Jn (main.bundle.js:119)
at yr (main.bundle.js:119)
at vr (main.bundle.js:119)

49 Replies
Nathan Mcilree

Hi Allison - do you know if there was any movement on the above issue or a report was filed? I am getting the same error.  To clarify further it happens after a SCORM is updated.  Any users who had started the SCORM on the previous version now get this error when they try to access the course.  However, if it is the first time they have visited the course then it works fine ( till the course is updated again).

Nathan Mcilree

Hi - in case anyone is coming across a similar issue here is the response from Articulate support

When you update existing course files in your LMS or web server, learners who previously started the course won't be able to resume where they left  off.

See this article for more information:
 https://www.articulate.com/support/article/content-wont-resume-after-updating-course-files

It is advisable to remove previous resume data so learners can launch the course again from the start.

So it looks like if you update a course you need to delete all existing user attempts against it in order for the course to load.  Which kind of sucks if you just want to update some text or change a typo - but good to know anyway.  

p.s this apparently applies to both Rise and Storyline

Nicole Brady

Hi Nathan,

I'm having this problem with Rise. I've never had it with Storyline. Were they able to give you any idea of what to do if the screen would just load to a blank page? i.e. the user has been in the training before and goes back after I've made an update? In the article you posted it says that it will just take them back to the first slide of the training - which I would be fine with. But my users aren't able to load the page at all. 

Was Articulate able to provide guidance?

myAko  Limited

Hi all, we are also having this issue with Articulate Rise courses and we are having to reset many users calling with this SCORM Driver error where the course simply isn't loading. I am about to raise a ticket because our team cannot keep up with the call volume that this is resulting in. Now I will avoid updating courses because of this issue which is ridiculous. Hopefully Articulate Support Team will be able to build a resolution for all asap.

Nathan Mcilree

My guess would be that the developers need to update the code that initialises the SCORM course so that if it does not recognise the location/resume data passed through it catches the error and treats the user as starting again - rather than just erroring in the background and stopping any content loading.

Matthew Uhrich

Reporting similar issues here with Totara/Moodle LMS.  Our first activity built in RISE.  Internal testing found it worked well, but we've been getting a ton of reports that users get a "black screen" and the content never loads.  I'll be submitting at support ticket but chiming in here as well to keep track of this thread and let you all know it does seem to be happening to lots of people. 

iQ Performance and Development

Has anything changed in regard to this? 

We had the issue with a couple of courses several months ago, which we fixed by clearing results, but it has happened again over this weekend with a new course. 

Has anything been changed in Rise to prevent this, or are we stuck with an issue that hits at random and then having to reset results for users that my be a significant way through a course when it happens?