Send email through Rise 360

Jun 02, 2023

I know how to create a button for an email link, but I want it to open a new email message that already contains the body of the email. The user will only have to enter the correct email address and click Send. Is this functionality possible and, if so, how do I go about it? Thanks! Rik

16 Replies
Lea Agato

Hi Rik,

Here's how you can send an email in Rise with your custom subject and email body:

• Add text into your course.
  • Add a hyperlink to the text.
  • Use the following details: mailto:emailaddress?subject=Email Subject&body=Email body

Here's how it works when I use the following details: 

mailto:testemail@sample.com?subject=Email Subject&body=Type your email body here. Instruct the user to change the email address.

This currently only works in hyperlinks. I hope this helps! 

Rik Barnes

Thanks, Lea, for your help! I don't think I explained my issue very well (or I'm not fully understanding your reply ... or both!) I'm using an email button, but I want it to open a message with the message text already added - to ensure that the sender receives the "approved" message. I've attached a screenshot of what I've got so far, but it seems kind of clunky. 

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Rik, 

I understand that you want the user to click on the Email button and then the email comes up all pre-populated, and the user just has to enter the email address and hit send.

If you use the button in Rise, it will only pre-populate the email address, not the subject line, or the body of the email.

In Lea's example above, she used a hyperlink instead of a button.

To add a hyperlink to a text, highlight the text and click on the hyperlink icon. Then add your code there. You can edit Lea's code (just change the bold text below)

mailto:entermailaddress@heresubject=Email Subject&body=Email body

Here's a video on how to do it.

Once you've added the code, you can click on it to test it,  just like in Lea's example above. It's going to pre-populate the body of the email, as well as the subject line. The user can change the email address then click send.

Hope this helps you!

Rik Barnes

I’m sorry, Hazel (et al!) but this is not working for me. I know how to create a link, but no matter what I do to Leah’s code, everything I put into the link appears in the email address field. The only other field in Rise is a “Text” field, but that’s specifically tied to the link’s text.

I want the link to open an email pre-populated with the following (excluding, of course, the quote marks):

To field: “Enter the email address”

Subject field: “Pre-registration packet”

Body field (partial text): “Attached please find a pre-enrollment packet consisting of the forms that must be completed in order to register in our supplier portal”

May I impose on your patience and experience to tell me, exactly, what I have to enter and where?

Finally (I know I’m asking a lot here!), can the resulting email be “pre-populated” with the PDFs already attached to the email?

Rik

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Rik! Sorry to hear that it isn't working. Let's try again.

Please add this code in the hyperlink:

mailto:Enter the email here?subject=Pre-registration%20packet&body=Attached%20please%20find%20a%20pre-enrollment%20packet%20consisting%20of%20the%20forms%20that%20must%20be%20completed%20in%20order%20to%20register%20in%20our%20supplier%20portal.

This should place the text in the Subject line and the Body when the email opens up like the one below:

To answer your question about having the .pdfs automatically attached when the hyperlink is clicked,  the answer is no, this is not possible at all. There is no provision for it in the mailto: protocol.

Hope this helps!

John Cooper

Hi Rik

I'm glad you were able to get your email sorted out. This may not be relevant to your question - but it might provide food for thought. Personally, I don't like the mailto: construction because you are dependent on the user's local client mail server - and, in our company, we don't have client mail servers on any devices (we figure cloud computing means computing in the cloud - we send and receive email in the cloud - NEVER from a local device) - but that's a whole other discussion. :).

For Storyline users I published an article here some time ago  about using an intermediary service to send email from Storyine:

Using an Intermediary service to send email from Storyline - Building Better Courses Discussions - E-Learning Heroes (articulate.com)

We certainly have done a number of projects now where we collect the users notes from text entry throughout the course and then, at the end of the course, we create a pdf handout containing the users notes (as well as other things) and then we send it to the learner's email address automatically using JavaScript and an intermediary service. But that is in Storyline. (PS You can have attachments to your email using this method.)

I think it could be done in RISE using local browser memory and a Storyline block at the end - but I haven't tried it.

John

John Cooper

Thanks Rik - I'm in no way suggesting that our company is 'normal' in our 'email only from the cloud policy' - we aren't!!

We have conversations with software app suppliers that sometimes go like this:

"When you click this button, you will be able to send an email."

"But I don't have a client mail server loaded"

"Oh, let me load one for you."

"Why?"

"So you can send email from your device."

"I can send email from my device"

"But that's in the cloud"

"I know"

"If I load a client mail server you can synchronize with your mail server and read and send your emails on all your devices"

"I can read and send emails on all my devices - look! And why would I need all those copies of my emails - isn't that risky?

"Well, what if the internet is down?"

"Then I won;t send any emails until it comes back"

"I'm confused"

"Yes I think you are...."

Rik Barnes

Really appreciate your input, John. Back to my pre-populated email: I can create a link that opens an email message pre-populated with the "approved" text. I know now that there is no way to have that email open with an attachment (too bad!). But I'd like clarification about coding the email text with paragraph breaks and bulleted lists. Is that possible and, if so, can you supply the code to make it happen? Thanks, again! Rik

Rik Barnes

Hi, John. You've been so helpful before, I hope you don't mind my reaching out again. Now I'm trying to create quizzes in Storyline. Today I'm struggling with a drag and drop.

I'm building a quiz, from a template, that requires the learner to drag a photo to its appropriate description. The template includes a round picture, but my pictures are square/rectangular. When I replace the picture from the template with my picture, the round template isn't big enough, cutting off much of my picture. Making my picture smaller makes no difference. Increasing the template picture doesn't give me more room for my picture. What do I have to do so the template pictures accommodates my pictures?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Rik

Rik Barnes

Hi Hazel. You’ve been so helpful before, I hope you don’t mind my reaching out again. Now I’m trying to create quizzes in Storyline. Today I’m struggling with a drag and drop.

I'm building a quiz, from a template, that requires the learner to drag a photo to its appropriate description. The template includes a round picture, but my pictures are square/rectangular. When I replace the picture from the template with my picture, the round template isn't big enough, cutting off much of my picture. Making my picture smaller makes no difference. Increasing the template picture doesn't give me more room for my picture. What do I have to do so the template pictures accommodates my pictures?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Rik

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Rik!

To ensure important parts of your image aren't cut off, consider changing the shape of your drag object to a rectangle rather than a circle.

Select the circular image, and click the Picture Tools Format tab. Then, select Picture Shape, and choose the rectangle shape. You can also adjust the cropping by clicking the Crop button. 

If you have more questions about Storyline slide design in the future, I would recommend that you post your question in the Articulate Storyline Forum here. That way, the Storyline experts in the community can jump in to assist you!