Storyline blocks - massive vertical spacing and scrolling issues within Rise on mobile devices

May 11, 2023

On selecting the Storyline block in Rise 360 on mobile devices, the screen appears blank, this is confusing for the learner as it looks like no content is present. It requires scrolling several hundred pixels up or down to view the Storyline content within the block. The close button, while invisible initially, is positioned at the very top above the content and the scroll bar with volume and cc features are placed all the way to the bottom of the screen within the block. Attaching image 'screenshot_menu_on.png'. I noticed that the size of the blocks is actually the height of the session, so longer the session, longer the storyline block size.

I have the 'menu and controls' turned on while publishing my storyline, because if I turn it off, the close button 'x' is overlaying the text/image/content above the block. Attaching image 'screenshot_menu_off.jpg'.

Pinned Reply
Kelly Auner

Hi, everyone!

I have some great news to share!✨

We have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.78.30680.0). An enhancement that's included in this update:

•  Storyline blocks in Rise 360 courses now display full-screen on mobile devices when player controls are turned off.

To take full advantage of this feature, please update Storyline 360 to the latest version.

If you have any questions, please let us know and we'll be happy to help! You can reach out here or privately in a support case.

17 Replies
Christopher Santos

Hi Ramya,

Thanks for sending the screenshots.  I can see that you have sent a case with us, and Dexter is helping out investigate the vertical spacing you have observed when the player controls are on. Looks like he is waiting for more information about the issue you are experiencing.  We'll wait for your response to Dexter's information-gathering questions!

As noted by Dexter, we have reported your issue with the close button (x button) when the player controls are turned off.  We'll respond on this thread if we get more updates from our team about this.

Steven Benassi

Hi Chris!

Thanks for reaching out! Sorry to hear you are running into issues while viewing Storyline 360 blocks embedded in a Rise course on mobile devices. I'd be happy to offer some insight!

This is a bug we are currently looking into, so I've included your voice in the bug report and will update this thread if it's released in a future update!

Here's a closer look at how we identify and tackle bugs.

Darrell Hughes

I would also like to flag this as a serious issue for both the end user and content creators alike as it affects all previously created content too. This seems to be a recent bug that has crept in, it was not affecting content until recently. As described in Ramya’s post above, when a Storyline block is opened in a Rise object on mobile devices, the screen appears to go blank leaving the user in limbo with no instruction or indication as to where they are or what is happening. Effectively is looks like a crash, any controls and/ or content are visually absent and requires excessive scrolling to re-orientate ones position, which the user is not aware of. This is a serious issue as it renders Storyline block useless and compromises the quality of the Rise content on mobile devices. I’m sure we are not the only ones experiencing this, can we have this issue investigated as a matter of urgency please?

Thanking you in advance.

Katie Orbison

Hi, are there any updates available for when these Storyline block issues will be resolved? Our Rise courses use Storyline blocks and both the close button (x button) issue and vertical spacing issue that Rayma describes are major problems for our mobile learners. If additional screenshots, screen recordings, or troubleshooting assistance is needed, please let me know. I’d be happy to help get this resolved quickly. Thanks!

Karina Gomez

Hi guys! ✨ I've been dealing with this bug for a month I dare to say. It's been quite challenging. But I found a temporary solution while this bug is FIXED by the dev team 🙄 (GUYS WE NEED YOU). 

I wrote a document for my team-mates and now I'm sharing with you guys, cause I know that having a close DEADLINE with this kind of issues is pretty awful:

SOLVING THE MISPLACED STORYLINE BLOCK POPUP IN RISE:

This is a bug that the newer version of Rise has lately. I found a temporary solution. To avoid the activity being called into a pop-up, you will have to modify a file when you export the SCORM:

1. Unzip SCORM file.

1. Navigate to: scormcontent\assets\ and enter to the only folder in there (name varies)
    3. You will find a file named “player-interface.js”
  2. Open that file using the NOTEPAD and you will see a code.
  3. Locate the following:

OnEnterFullscreen: function() {

sendParentMessage({

type: 'fullscreen:enter',

windowName: window.name

});

},

OnExitFullscreen: function() {

sendParentMessage({

type: 'fullscreen:exit',

windowName: window.name

});

},

And:

function triggerPause() {

var player = window.GetPlayer();

if (typeof player.TriggerPause !== 'function') {

log('player-interface.js: player.TriggerPause is not a function! returning early');

return;

}

player.TriggerPause();

}

1. Delete codes.
  2. Press ctrl+s to save.
  3. Go to main folder and compress everything into a zip.

Your SCORM file is now ready!

Deleting the first code will remove the Pop-Up,
Deleting the second code will remove the X button when the ‘Press Play’ button is clicked on the Storyline block ONLY in Mobile view. 

With this process, the block will STAY in place without having it onto a popup. Why do I call it temporary? It seems that the storyline block is displaying a bit smaller within the iframe. It's weird, but at least it stays in place. 

Just as a small note, the storyline block doesn't seem to be triggered as finished when doing this process, so I don't recommend adding a blocked CONTINUE button below it, or to track the completion using the storyline block.

And that's it guys! Hope you find this useful and that my baggy eyes can be totally worth it WHILE we get this bug fixed. If you have any questions let me know! 😁

Ramya Srinivasan

Hey guys, just to update on this, I received an email from articulate this morning that this issue has been fixed. So, if you leave the Menu and Control 'ON' when publishing a storyline there is a white pop-up background and the massive scrolling space is gone. (Great news !!!)

This works fine on Android mobile devices. On the iPhones, this CLOSE X button is really close (even slightly behind) the EXIT button of the Rise which could make it very confusing for the students and also tricky to hit on the X close button without hitting on Exit.

Luciana Piazza

Hi Ramya, 

Wonderful news! Thanks so much for sharing the update from your support case in this thread. I'm sure it will be helpful to other community members that come across this post in the future.

If you have any other discoveries or questions, feel free to reach out in the community! 

Have a great start to your day! ☀️

Karina Gomez

Hello!!!
Indeed some wonderful news!!
After all the struggle!! Thank you so much!

So...!

I am not a fan of having the menu when it's of no use, so I kinda wanted to try something and it worked!

As @Ramya mentioned, I turned on the Menu in the Player Properties, but also, I turned off each slide's Menu in the Slide Properties Window (see attached).

So it's working wonderfully! Thanks a lot!

Kelly Auner

Hi, everyone!

I have some great news to share!✨

We have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.78.30680.0). An enhancement that's included in this update:

•  Storyline blocks in Rise 360 courses now display full-screen on mobile devices when player controls are turned off.

To take full advantage of this feature, please update Storyline 360 to the latest version.

If you have any questions, please let us know and we'll be happy to help! You can reach out here or privately in a support case.