Survey or Short Answer Questions

Jun 28, 2017

Absolutely love Rise, but one feature I'm hoping is coming in the future, or better yet, I'm just not realizing is an option.

I'd love the ability to put in a box for my end users to fill out their own thoughts on a subject, a survey or short answer question.  Is that something that's possible in Rise? 

111 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Daniel!

So glad to hear that you're loving Rise and our team is working hard to improve it everyday.

Additional question types are certainly on the radar and the intention is to release them as they are ready.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us you can stay up to date with all of the new things we've added to Rise right here!

Richard Fleming

If I want to have a text block for a long-form submission that isn't graded, how would I do that with Rise? What about for Yes/No questions that don't require grading?

If I embed a Google Form or something, it ultimately pipes data OUT of the LMS - and I want to keep everything self contained. Any suggestions?

Trying to use a Storyline block has proven far more difficult, and I'm not sure where the user submissions go.

Crystal Horn

Hello, Richard.  It sounds like you need two things:  a short answer question type, and the ability to see learner responses.

Rise doesn't currently send question-level data to an LMS. The good news is that it's on our feature roadmap. We don't have a delivery date for it yet, but I'll be sure to let you know as soon as it's available.  I'll bring the idea of a larger text entry option to the team, as well!

As far as Yes/No questions, would knowledge checks work for you?  Or would you need to collect learner responses for those questions, also?

Richard Fleming

Hi Crystal,

Unfortunately, and I may be doing this entirely wrong, but the knowledge checks still seem to have a Correct/Incorrect evaluation. If we had questions like, "Were you bullied at school?" or "Do you like tacos?," I'd rather the participants just submit "Yes" or "No" without having to assign a "correct" answer to their responses - but I also want the ability to send individual feedback messages.

Bummer about the long-form submissions. I think, additionally, having a survey option or Likert option, would be super helpful. Right now, I'm getting seriously bogged down trying to incorporate Storyline 360 templates into Rise - and noticing that they don't preview well when you select Mobile (just shows a video Play button that does nothing). Doesn't matter how I export the slides from Storyline.

We are still able to receive completion data, right? 

Finally, when you say Rise doesn't send question-level data, do you mean that we are not able to receive any knowledge check information to our LMS? :/

Crystal Horn

Great questions to clarify, Richard.

First, Storyline blocks won’t work when you click the mobile phone icons during preview, but they will work as expected in published output on mobile phones. I understand how helpful it'd be to see Storyline blocks in mobile phone previews, so I've sent your request to our development team. I'll be sure to let you know if we add this feature to Rise.

Question level data includes information like this that would be reported to an LMS.  Currently, Rise tracks completion and score from Quiz lessons

Knowledge checks are content blocks, so they are not reported to the LMS.  When you export for LMS, you'll choose the Quiz lesson results you'd like to use for tracking.

I have an idea for you, though.  Can you build out the Yes/No scenarios using other blocks?  Check this example out.  I hope that helps you to develop the learner experience you'd like!

EJ LeBlanc

Until these issues are resolved, Rise continues to be useless to me. A part of me wishes I could opt out of this part of 360 and save some of the funds that are being sent to it. Certainly a value drain, at a minimum, until the following use cases are added:

1. Authors can use blocks in quizzes.
  2. Authors can use quizzes in blocks, pulling from them like question banks as desired at a granular level (meaning I can randomly pull one question from a question bank, and on the next question I can pull another from a different question bank).
  3. LMS admins can easily pull granular data from Rise publications via SCORM and SCORM LMS reporting. 
  4. Authors can add survey or short answer questions to blocks and quizzes.
  5. Authors are able to organize content in ways that may not fit pre-defined schema.

For example, I looked today to see if I could use Rise to insert a quick SCORM quiz that had some open-ended questions as part of my course. Wanted it to be responsive and simple to set up, and so I used the image with quote block, clicked the plus button, and found I could only use a simple "knowledge check" block for interactivity. I don't understand how this product still, at this point, doesn't have the basic question types available. I don't understand how people are using this with a performance mindset with such poor performance tracking.

*If you really want to dazzle us, make easy-to-customize reporting dashboards with LRS-like, xAPI-enabled monitoring for student, instructor, manager, and admins with Rise aesthetics as plugins for most learning management systems, especially Moodle. You'd be the first authoring tool to tackle making standardized, enterprise-level xAPI tracking across an authoring suite a reality. Now that's worth $1400 a year!

Note: I will probably not be responding to this thread. I do not mean to be rude. Just busy!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi EJ,

I did want to let you know that as of last week, Rise courses will send question-level details to an LMS – so you can observe what learners know and where they need more help. Looks like that will help with #3 on your list - we'll keep you posted as other new features are released to Rise.

Crystal Horn

Hey Nathan.  Thanks for checking in.  We've documented the requests to have a survey or text entry style interaction in Rise where learners can enter a block of text.  We haven't announced plans for this feature yet.

My team is making sure we prioritize this request properly, though!  We'll update you here if we expect any changes.  Here's a bit more about how we handle feature requests.

Christine Brown

I, too, am looking for an ungraded essay question type in Rise with the ability to pass the learner responses to an LMS. Until that functionality exists, I'm looking for 'work-around' solutions. I'm thinking of using the fill-in-the-blank question type to capture information from learners in Rise. Is there an accept-all-responses command that I can input into the acceptable answer field so learners will not receive the 'incorrect' feedback for any response they enter? 

Allison LaMotte

Hi James,

Yes, the text the learner enters will be sent to the LMS. Depending on your LMS, you may or may not be able to view this information. The best way to find out if you'll have access to that information is to contact your LMS provider.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. :)