Team Repository for Rise Project Files

Feb 21, 2018

I have recently purchased three Articulate 360 team licences and I am looking eventually to having a team size around ten seats, perhaps more. I fully understand how the ownership and collaborative sharing options within teams works at present but what I need is a more scalable solution.  For example, when changes are needed to a Rise learning resource I need a solution whereby any member of the team can access the relevant project file, make the amendments and the re-export without having to trace the owner.  The ideal solution would be a team repository for Rise project files rather than individual ownership.  As the number of Rise projects and team members increases the concept of individual ownership within the teams environment becomes less appealing. I would expect that many organisations may also have the same requirement.  So here are a few questions?

• Are there any plans to introduce a team repository for Rise projects as an alternative to individual ownership?
  • How long are Rise project files retained against an articulate ID? Particularly if that ID has not been granted a seat for a period of time.
  • Are there any protocols to assist in the recovery of ‘lost’ Rise project files?  The fear here is that the ‘owner’ is no longer an employee yet they still have control of the original Rise project file.

Finally, as I work for quite a sizable University there will be questions asked regarding service level agreements for secure storage of academic content.  Can you point me in the direction of any such document?

12 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Welcome to the community, Patrick! You have some excellent questions, and I'm happy to help.

• When you mentioned a "team repository," it sounds like you're looking for a feature that will allow all team members to have shared ownership of all team courses, is that correct?

While that isn't currently possible, Rise has three features that make sharing courses a whole lot easier:
  1. Send a Copy - When you send a copy of your course to another Rise user, each of you will have an independent copy of the same project. Changes you make to the course won't appear in the other author's version, and vice versa.
  2. Collaborate - Collaborators can create and edit lessons simultaneously, and changes will appear immediately. However, only the course owner can share the course with learners, publish it to Articulate Review to collect feedback from stakeholders, and export it for hosting in an LMS or web server.
  3. Block Templates - Team members can save existing blocks and their content as templates, then share those templates with the rest of the team.
  • If you remove a team member from a team, their content remains intact for at least six months. Anyone who has direct links to their Rise courses can still view them. Their existing Rise courses can’t be edited, so you’ll want to transfer ownership of the course to another team member before removing the person from the team.
  • If you remove someone from your team because they are no longer an employee, they will no longer have access to Articulate 360 apps. Before you remove that team member, you’ll want to transfer ownership of all courses to another team member. This will prevent a course from being "lost" after an employee leaves a team.
  • And since you asked about our service level agreement, I wanted to point you to our Trust Center. Hopefully that answers your questions--if there's anything else we can help with, please let me know! You're also welcome to reach out to our Sales team anytime at sales@articulate.com.

Alexander Lor

Hi Patrick, 

We had this exact same issue at our org. We have about six IDs working on Rise content and it was a hassle trying to get edit access to edit docs, keep track of copies, and getting the owner to export the SCORM for LMS.

Our solution was to nominate one account to own all Rise content after development. I'm not an ID, I'm the Ed Tech that would constantly update/republish Rise content to Moodle. So my account was nominated the one account to rule them all. This Articulate account acts like a team repository. 

The general process is:

• The ID in charge of the Rise dev (initial Owner) adds everyone involved as a Collaborator.   
    • The Owner ID works on Rise content as usual. Once finished, they transfer ownership to me.
    • In my account, I would organise the Rise content into separate folders. Ownership is with me and I can publish to SCORM.
    • If the ID needs to make changes afterward, they still can because their permission is set to Collaborator. They can notify me if they need Owner permissions back. But in the end, they transfer ownership back to me.

Housekeeping:

• We only use 'Send a copy' to share templates. If IDs were to use this function for transferring content, there would be uncontrolled versions of the same Rise course in multiple Articulate accounts. Haven't played with Block templates, but this new feature might be a substitute for us sharing templates.
    • In case I get hit by a bus, my account details are available to my supervisor or another senior ID.
    • As Alyssa mentioned, if a staff member leaves, make sure they transfer any Rise content they developed to the nominated account.

Hope that helps. Cheers, Alex

Eduscape Partners

I second (third?) this feature request. I have created a template and sent a copy to everyone on the team. Any time I make a small edit to the template, I have to resend the file. Ideally, I'd like every collaborator to have the same publishing rights as the owner. Like Alexander, I'm going to explore block templates and see if it's just a matter of me not using the correct formatting for templates. 

Alexander, your solution is interesting. I'm going to bring this to my team to see if we think this (or a version of it) would also work for us!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Erin,

Rise updates in real time, so if you've made a course and invited others to collaborate with you on it they'd all have access to the updates you make in that course. If you're using the "Send a copy" feature that will send a copy as the Rise course was at that moment in time so that you and your colleague would each maintain your own copies. 

I’ll also be happy to pass your thoughts on to our product team, and you can also feel free to detail them more through a feature request!

Leana Zona

Alexander, thank you for outlining your process here. We are considering a similar system. Could I ask you a few more questions about this process? Particularly interested in your teams process for archiving courses and how that is configured with you as the delegated account/repository for the team. Do you create a folder for Archived courses? If so, how do you navigate/manage the clutter on the main page of Rise since all courses show on the main page? Thank you for any insight you might be able to share and of course willing to talk off-thread too! :) 

Sophie Pierronnet

Hello

I found this discussion and another from 5 years (Sharing and storage of Rise files) about the challenges that the lack of a common central repository at the team level brings. 

We have just had a large number of classes created by a third party company who will now send us copies of the Rise classes. Sending copies to our 4 account holders does not seem like a very efficient way to manage all this content (we're talking about 40+ classes...). 

Adding this comment to re-open the discussion and perhaps hear of some upcoming central repository becoming available soon. 

Sam LoJa

Come on, Articulate. It has been a standing request for 6 years now. There is a huge need for enterprises to be able to manage content across and/or between company departments and teams. Pretty much all enterprises have multiple departments/teams that need to be able to manage their own content but separately from other departments/teams. If a member of one department, say HR, leaves, the HR department needs to be able to access and take ownership of that person's project source files easily. It's not practical for just the central/company account owner (often someone in IT) to have access. It's not feasible for them to manage the content for every department or team in the company. Teams and departments need to be able to manage their own content.

Get it together, please. Like I said, it's been 6 years now.