Transfer Ownership If Member Leaves

Jul 09, 2018

Hi there,

I've searched for a solution, but I don't see one. I know that the course owner in Rise can transfer the course ownership to another team member. I am the coordinator of our team. What happens if a team member (course owner) leaves, and we need to transfer ownership of that course to someone else? How do we do that? Our "admin" says that's not a function the admin can perform.

Thanks for any help!

42 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Amy and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for reaching out! There isn't a way to access another user's Rise courses, but I can see how it would be valuable in cases like this where a user is no longer part of the team. We do have this submitted as a feature and we're tracking requests, so I've added this conversation so that we can update you when we can as well.

In the meantime, you can access Rise courses for a user that's no longer on your team with some help from your IT staff. Here's how: 

1) Ask your IT staff to temporarily forward the user's email address to you or to grant you temporary access to their email account. You'll need this to complete step 3 below. 

2) Add the email address back to your Articulate 360 Teams account as a user, temporarily. 

3) Reset the user's Articulate 360 password here.

4) Sign into Articulate 360 with the user's email address and new password.

5) Transfer ownership of each Rise course to another user on your team.

6) When you're done, you can remove the user from your Articulate 360 account. 

To avoid this scenario going forward, we recommend asking users to transfer their Rise courses to new owners before leaving the team, if possible. 

Hope that helps in the meantime.

Graeme Horton

This really should be looked at as a feature. Our Admin should have a more admin-like proof set and capability. Is this being looked at for future releases?

I see the largest impact for Rise, but also Storyline when using Articulate teams. We have shared slides but only the individual who posts those shared slides have the ability to remove them. So if that individual leaves our team or someone else posts some random shared slides into the team slides area, only the individual that posted can remove them.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Graeme,

Our team is looking into the issues around transferring Rise content if an author leaves the team or company, so we'll share updates with you as soon as we can on that! 

As for the Storyline teams slides, I haven't heard a lot of discussion around that here in ELH. Since we recommend the .story file to be saved locally, they're always connected to the author.  I can share with our Product team your need on removing Team Slides though. Hopefully, no one is posting random slides that y'all would need to have removed! 😉

Lisa Eichman

Hello,

We also would like the admins to be able to transfer ownership of files.  We had a member leave and it was a while before her position was filled.  She did most of her course creation in Rise.  Now, we have to recreate anything she did, rather than simply updating it with new information.  Please keep us posted on this issue.

Thanks!

Margit Haalebos

Hi, I would also like to have the updates regards to transferring content to other team members as an admin or group admin! 

There was a news letter on this topic on 11th of december, stating the following: There’s goodness for Articulate 360 Teams admins coming, too. Soon, admins will be able to transfer people’s content when they leave the team, and different admins will be able to manage different groups of seats.

Thanks! 

Allison LaMotte

Hi Shannan,

Yes, you can transfer a course to anyone else with an Articulate 360 Teams subscription, even if they're not on your team. Here's how that works.

If you need to send your course to someone who doesn't have a Teams subscription, you can send them a copy. Here's how that works.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. :)

Allison LaMotte

Hi everyone,

Good news: now it’s easy to transfer Rise 360 content from one team member to another when someone leaves the team. 

Check out this video to see how it works and this step-by-step tutorial for more details. 

And these aren't the only cool features we released today! Visit our what’s new page for the full list.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. :)

Karl Muller
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kim!

When someone leaves your team, it's up to the team admin to decide what to do with the user's content.  The admin can transfer it to another team member, delete it, or do nothing with it. This screenshot shows what your admin saw when removing the user from your team.

If the admin chose the Nothing - just remove user from team option, here's how you can get that content back:

STEP 1:

Add the user back to your team with the same email address they used before.

Ask your IT staff to temporarily grant you access to it or to forward incoming messages to you. Then click the activation link in their email invitation. After reactivating the user's team membership, your IT staff can disable the email address again.

Most organizations find it's trivial to temporarily reactivate an email address to demonstrate that they have control over it. This is a safeguard for your organization, for us, and for the data being transferred to a new owner.

I know you mentioned your IT staff doesn't want to temporarily grant you access to that email address, but that's your easiest and safest method for getting access to the Rise 360 content. 

STEP 2:

Remove the user from your team again and choose the option to transfer their content to someone else. This article describes where the new owner can find content that was transferred to them.

Let me know how it goes!

Andreas Kuswara

When we transfer the ownership of a course from Staff A to Staff B, do all the comments made int the reviews published by Staff A remains? How is the transfer of ownership affected the comments and review versions in Review 360? 

This situation happens when a staff member has been reassigned away from a project to another mid review process. The new owner needs to continue the review and revision process.

Mandy Ha

Hi, I have an urgent issue. I've transferred ownership to a colleague through her 30 day trial account but the account has expired and she didn't transfer ownership back to the team in time. Is there any way to resolve this issue with a quick fix? Can the admin person reassign transfer of ownership?

Thanks