Translation - XLIFF or copy of original?

Apr 23, 2021

Hi, I have just taken over our courses so am pretty new to Rise. We sometimes do translations of our courses and have used the XLIFF feature in Rise for this in past. We've been asked by our translator if they could translate directly into a course instead. This would be more efficient for them and for us, so I am just wondering if there is a downside I may  not be aware of. As far as I can tell, if I duplicate a course, there is no parent-child relationship between them so updating one does not update the other etc. We can also give access only to the course being translated so no risk of other courses being changed by mistake. Thoughts?

3 Replies
Hazel Bartolome

Hi Clint! 

Yes, it is also possible to duplicate a course then have the translator directly edit the course from their copy vs. translating from an XLIFF file.

Here are some advantages and disadvantages that I can think of:

Advantages:

1. You save a step since you no longer need to download the XLIFF file and send it to the translator.
  2. By translating directly in the duplicate course you can publish the course immediately without the need to reupload the translated XLIFF file.

Disadvantages:

1. The formatting of the course can change depending on how the translator edited the file. A re-edit for the formatting may be required. If you use an XLIFF, it preserves the formatting of the paragraphs, texts, etc. and you don't need to revisit the course to edit the formatting.
  2. Text in your course can accidentally be deleted if the translator is not careful and they might not be able to catch it right away, so certain text won't  be included in the final translation.

Here's a sample view of an XLIFF Editor:

On the left side you can see the English text, and on the right side, Japanese text. This ensures that every part of your course is translated.

Hope this helps you!