What types of changes affect student tracking?

Apr 16, 2024

Hello,

I am looking for some guidance on the types of changes or updates to a course that can impact the progress of students who are currently enrolled  that I re-publish to our LMS. I know structural changes like adding/removing lessons, sections, etc. will definitely impact progress, but what about changing the name of an existing lesson to better reflect the intent of that lesson? If there is already a thread that lists such changes, I'd be happy to have a link. :-)

Thanks!

John

3 Replies
Eric Santos

Hi John,

Happy to help! You're right that structural changes impact progress if you republish your course to the LMS. Any other changes to the course will also affect the learners' progress when you update (overwrite) existing course files in your LMS. Learners who previously started the course won't be able to resume where they left off. They'll start over at the first lesson in the updated course.

Some LMSs may allow updating existing courses without impacting the records of students currently taking the course. If so, they may also have details on what types of changes affect student tracking. I'd reach out to the LMS administrator if this feature is available in their platform.