.xlf and Rise: Target filled: Translation Question

Hello, 

Is there any way to adjust the output of the .xlf file so that the target is not automatically filled? Our translators have to manually delete all these and it's an unnecessary added step. <target> </target> should be blank in between, not a copy of the source (am I correct?).

We are also seeing that there is no way for designers to designate the target language, so the .xlf file that is generated is designated English -> English, rather than English -> Language. We got around this by manually changing the target language in Notepad to get it to work in the translator's software, but ideally, Rise would allow us to designate the target language when exporting the file.

 

11 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Angela,

Our team is looking into a fix for this, as the target language should be left blank and then adjusted by your translation vendor (or using the translation tool). As we continue to look into that, they should be able to modify it as a part of their translation process. What tool are you using? I know some folks have run into trouble with SDL Trados, and that's a piece of what our team is investigating too! 

Angela Carey

Yes, I have submitted a ticket and am working with Support. We are using Trados. I had hoped that after switching my language of the labels then exporting, this would somehow magically affect the target language of the xlf file, but no. That probably wouldn't work anyway as I have added custom labels for several other languages. Storyline .xlf was a hot mess, so we're just going to use the Word export for those. More info to come!

Crystal Horn

Hey Angela!  I’m happy to let you know that we just made translating content in Rise even better.  You can check out the release notes here.

We fixed an issue where XLIFF translation contained components that some translation tools, like Trados, couldn't process.

The new version of Rise is live now, so just simply export your XLIFF translation again and let us know how your tool handles it!

Angela Carey

They can open them, but they are chok full of HTML tags. A previous fix (5 months ago) had alleviated this and it was working beautifully - but after the most recent update, the tags are back and the translators are not pleased. I do not know what version of Trados they use or how they had gotten it to work before - I know the org has an open ticket with Articulate and is working with them on this. As I'm working as a contractor now, I do not have easy access to the translation team.

Allison LaMotte

Hi Angela,

The most recent update was released to solve this issue. Now, when you export your course for translation you can decide whether or not to include those tags. Here’s more information on how that works. 

It sounds like your translation team is already in touch with our support team, so hopefully they'll get to the bottom of the problem.