Xlif problems

Dec 07, 2018

Hello I have a lot of problem when I try to translate a xlif export of a route RISE. Indeed, when I open the export in a translation tool like smartcat.ai or SDL Trados Studio 2019, I oddly have line breaks or tabs that do not normally exist in my path. You have to delete them by hand in the translation tool.
And so when I re-import the translated and cleaned files, I lose my text formatting or I have [Object Object] tags that appear in my RISE module (see pj).
What to do to avoid this?

Thank you

46 Replies
Darren McNeill

I am currently working with our internal Translation Team and also with Articulate support on this and they are being very helpful. But I am confused. I have a course that has to be translated (has been at this point) to 14 languages.

I create the copy of the course and export the XLIFF file.

this file goes to our translation team.

They returned the XLIFF files nothing changed in the code except the text that requires translating. NO XML or HTML code or IDS have changed.

Importing a file back into the course finishes as Import Succsessful

The text has not changed.

Working with the Articulate Support Team I sent them my course and the English and other language course as requested.

They took the language course and did something with it in SmartCat (never heard of it) and apparently converted it to XLIFF 1.2 which I thought was already exported and the same as nothing change except the text to be translated.

importing the file then worked for the Support Team.

So do we need to purchase another application to convert the exported XLIFF files to be able to import them again which is not really feasible.

Currently we now I have an external team manually copy and pasting the translations to new courses to get them done, but this should not be the case?

Crystal Horn

Hi, Darren. You shouldn't have to use a second translation software. I see that Angelo was working with you, and he had a copy of your course in Rise 360. He used the XLF from that course, translated it with a tool that we have available (Smartcat), and then imported the translated XLF into the same course.

I'm not sure why the translated XLF files from your team aren't working. Angelo is able to help further! You can reply back to him with the translation software your team is using, and we'll continue investigating.

Darren McNeill

We are still baffled at this point also as we have several teams working on this and still no joy. At the moment we have teams simply copying and pasting into a new rise copy just to get the modules done by the deadlines. We have tried everything from exporting the XLF file and simply pasting in the translated test into it, saving it and importing it again and it still says Successful but the text stays in English. At this point I am wondering if the Support team would be available for a call on this? I sent Angelo a few questions by email return and no responses yet but I am sure he is busy.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi, Darren. I want to be sure Angelo received the questions you sent him. I took a look into your case (#02130548), and the last email was sent to you from Angelo on January 27. In that email, he recommended using Smartcat.ai, which generates XLIFF 1.2. 

Do you have another case with Angelo? If so, what is the case number for that one? 

Darren McNeill

I  replied to his email twice yesterday and twice today with updates and questions. I also requested if it was possible to arrange a call. We have dozens of other users in the organization with the same situation and we want to resolve and find out what is the issue on whatever side. We have our own Translation Team and system that uses Systran for the Machine translation which he asked for. Not sure why we need to purchase another translation tool such as SmartCat.ai just to export 1.2? If Rise exports 1.2, and I only change one sentence and reimport it then the XLF file should still be 1.2? I am just trying to get my head around the correct process as we have hundreds of projects that are manual copy and paste.

Darren McNeill

Hi, the engineer reached out and I think we have a fix now. He noticed that the imported XLF files did not have the additional <target> tags with each <source> tag. Our Translation system only translated the text required and made no changes to any code which I was not aware of.

So instead of just <source>Title</source> you also needed <target>Title</target> with it and for every <source></source> in the document. This worked perfectly.

Another test I did now that I had a solution from now, on was to actually change the <source> to <target> tags and this works also.... might be useful for others that have been going through the same issues.

Not sure why Rise exports the XLF file with <source> tags only and then expects <target> tags in return?

Loren Rothmann

@Rowie went a little futher with these instructions:

1) Before importing the translation file in Trados Studio 2019. 1) File > Options > File Types > XLIFF > Settings > select "Do not store segmentation information in the translated file"

2) With the project open click Project Settings > File Types > XLIFF > Settings > select "Do not store segmentation information in the translated file"

3) Export your file from Trados.

Venkatesh Jaganathan

Hi Alyssa,

We are also facing issues when importing the translated XLF file into Rise 360

Issue: Translated content is not updated - it remains in English language.

Actually I did not use any special tool for the translation. 

Steps I followed:

1. Created a sample course in Rise 360
  2. Deselected Include HTML formatting
  3. Exported the content as XLF file format
  4. Manually translated a few contents using Google Translate tool
  5. Then imported the XLF file into the Rise 360

But the contents are still in English language only - the translated content is not shown.

Please let me know, if there is any workaround or fix for this issue.

Thanks.

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Venkatesh. Thanks for sharing the steps you followed! It sounds like you didn't duplicate the course first before exporting the XLIFF file. That's step 1 in the translation process

Also, an XLIFF file isn't meant to be translated manually, so you'll want to use a translation tool specifically for XLIFF files to translate your course. Lots of folks in the community have had success with a free tool called SmartCat, so you may want to give that one a try!

Aishwarya Subramanian

We are trying to translate English to French Rise course using the XLIFF tool, Trados. When we export the XLIFF file, it displays the text as paragraphs (text block from Rise) and not as individual sentences. We also opted for the HTML formatting and hence the paragraphs of text are embedded with the HTML tags making it difficult to translate. We have used Trados for Storyline translation and never had an issue since the text got separated into individual sentences and we could translate per unit (or sentence). With Rise, we are finding it difficult to translate blocks of text. 

Our question is, are we doing something wrong here with the translation? Is there anything else we can do to separate the sentences or make this translation process more efficient using Trados? Any feedback or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Crystal Horn

Hi Aishwarya,

Storyline 360 text boxes have different functionality than Rise 360 text blocks which is why you're seeing different translation units in your XLIFF. With Rise 360 right now, text blocks will continue to show as a single unit.

I'll defer to the community of users on how this works with Trados.