Exit Button

May 29, 2012

Recently I came across this example of an Articulate player.

http://mediaenglishonline.com/engage/blog/presenter/player.html

The player has an "Exit" button that displays a panel with "Cancel" and "Exit now" buttons. The "Exit now" button closes the browser window.

Can anyone explain how this was done?

Thanks in advance for any help!

47 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi there, Trish. Welcome to the community!

There's a couple of options for you. If you need the user to navigate to the page, you can add a button on the slide and add a hyperlink to that button (on click). You could also add an "Exit Course" trigger to that button. So, it should exit the course and take the learners to the page you wish to show them (the Moodle page, or any other). 

Here's a quick example

In the example above, clicking on the button closes the course and opens a browser window for this thread. 

Here's how I set it up:

Now you can modify some of the options when you add the URL and Jump to trigger, if you'd like, as well.

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks!

Trish Pini

Hi Christine, Thanks for your prompt reply,   We have tried this and I can see in my question I have not been clear in what we are seeking to achieve.   We would like to be able to have the button act the same as the exit activity link in moodle ie,  It closes the presentation and returns the user to the main page without opening a new page.  We have not been able to come up with a solution that does not open a new browser page, and this becomes confusing for the user.   Any suggestions?   I was hoping there was a java script I could put in an action on a button in storyline.

We have both storyline and studio and are happy to do in either?

Thanks

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Trish,

First, I'm afraid I won't be able to help with the JavaScript request. Maybe one of our talented community gurus can help out with that and let you know if it's a possibility. 

I apologize, I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Is the course launched in a new window from Moodle? If it is, you should be able to use a similar trigger set up that I mentioned earlier (in Storyline), just leave out the Jump to URL trigger. You should be able to apply the "Exit Course" trigger to the button, so that the course window closes. If that window is open over the Moodle window, the user should see that again, once the course is closed.

Would that work for you?

Bill Westaway

I set up a custom exit button in a project but it doesn't perform as I would expect?

I created a Storyline Scorm test package and uploaded it onto Moodle. The Moodle course settings were configured to launch the content in a new window. At the end of the module, when clicking on the custom exit button all that would happen is that the course content would end, but the window would remain open!

I then get a message in the window saying "The content has ended. You may close this window."

I was hoping the content would end and the window would close all at the same timel! Has anyone come across this before or know how to get the window to actually close?

Cheers, Bill

PS. I looked at the link at the top in post #1 and it tried to download a trojan!

Christine Hendrickson

Good morning Bill,

You may want to take a look and see if the following threads help with the page you're seeing after you exit the course:

Exit Button

Completion Status Issues

SCORM to LMS update

If you still have trouble with this, please let us know.

In regards to the Trojan, I'm not sure what happened there. When I view the link, all I see is Alan's course. Is that the link you're referring to?

Thanks!

Christine

Joyce Hensen

You can create one in the player.  On the features menu, click the add button below the player tabs.  

Then, on the Trigger Wizard, name your new trigger "Exit" in the name box and select the action "Exit Course" from the Action choices.

After that the new trigger will show in the player tabs and you can move it to whichever section you'd like it to appear.

Hope this helps!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Heinrich! The comments from Pete here are a bit dated and it appears that there was offline conversation. I'm not sure if he would still be subscribed to the thread or if you wish to reach out to him directly via the Contact Me option on his profile.

The exit course trigger is known to have some issues as detailed here. Is your course published for CD? We do have an issue reported to our QA Team related to this issue. You may want to provide your users with directions to use the browser close button instead of the button on the slide.

Heinrich Bartie

Hi Leslie, thanks for the reply.

It's not that the course exit button isn't closing the course as it should, that part is working. The issue I'm experiencing is that using a custom course exit button does not keep any resume state information, so when opening the course afterwards reverts to the start of the course.

When using the normal windows close button (as you would close a normal application) the resume state information is retained and the course prompts you if you would like to resume.

It's a bizarre issue that seems to be limited to CD published version only as I've tested the course on an LMS, and the resume state works with the custom course exit button.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.