Inserting a Flash Movie

Mar 14, 2013

I am having an issue with the clarity of my movie when I bring it in uder "Inserting a Flash Movie".  If I just insert a video it looks great but will not publish - when I add a flash movie so I can publish my powerpoint, the video is very distorted and can't be read.

Any suggestions?

7 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Alexis,

First, make sure you're following the steps outlined in the article below:

Articulate Support - Adding a Movie

If the video still doesn't play properly, or doesn't show up at all, please make sure that you're working with local video and presentation files. 

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names.

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

I hope this helps. If you still have trouble with the video, please let me know.

Thanks!

Alexis Gerling

Christine,

I am not having trouble with audio.  I am I am recording my screen with audio in Camtasia.  The end result is an .avi file.  When I playback the video on Camtasia it is played back in full screen and is very clear.  before bring the file into my powerpoint as a flash movie, I must first create a .flv from that .avi file.  I use Articlute Video Encorder.  After I publich the video to make it a .flv file, the video has been shrunk down and becomes very hard to read.  When I use that flash movie in my powerpoint, i still do not have the ability to make it full screen.  When I publish using presenter I still can't display in full screen.  My other slides that do not have a flash video on it display in full screen but not my video. 

Any suggestions???

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Alexis,

I looked back at my response and I'm not seeing anything about audio, so I'm a little confused. Either way, we'd be happy to take a look at the files and see what's happening with the video quality. 

Please create an Articulate Presenter package by following the steps in the following article:

Send to Articulate Presenter Package

Attach the .ZIP file to the second page of the following form: 

Submit a Support Case

Please be sure to include a description of your issue and also include the URL for this thread in the case. Also, if possible, please share the case number with me, so I can follow up with you in this thread. You're welcome to share the case number in this thread, or send it to me in a private message.

Thanks!

Marc Lee

Alexis,

Just a couple comments on your situation...

I'm not that familiar with Camtasia....can you save the Camtasia recording as a SWF?  That might be easier than going Camtasia -> AVI -> FLV.  The SWF would, from what I know, be easier to import into either Powerpoint or Articulate directly. I think it would be hard to import either AVI or FLV into Powerpoint and get good quality.  IF you must use one of those formats, I would recommend using FLV, wrapping that in a SWF and importing the wrapper.  However, I think you'd need to have the FLV as an external file that the SWF could find.  That might be a problem. Overall I think that would work.

(Note: Flash video (FLV) is not the same as Flash (SWF)).

-Marc Lee

Marc Lee

That being so then I'm back to the Flash 'wrapper' idea to play the FLV.  Flash has a built-in component just for that called FLVPlayer - which you drop in and give it the FLV path. I haven't tried it with Camtasia but it's played FLV files very cleanly for me for years.  Next, I think it would make sense to make the whole thing (both the Flash and the Camtasia FLV) a webobject in Articulate and place everything in a convenient spot on a web server.

One  downside: the Articulate scrubber might not pick up on the audio track of the Camtasia.  But we could add a scrubber 'skin' to effect the same result right in the Flash.

-Marc Lee

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.