Sending to Articulate Package

I've been experiencing some errors when completing a project, then Sending to Articulate Package ... mainly, the package is not complete!!!!

When I've gone to check the .zip file this feature creates, it is missing a number of the Engage or Quizmaker files that *should* be part of the package.  This has caused a delay, and more importantly some embarassment, as I've delivered source files only to be notified that they're not complete.

Can someone shed some light as to WHY this might be occurring, or what I may be doing incorrectly??

Thanks in advance!

Heather

11 Replies
Peter Anderson

Hi Heather!

There is a known issue when a package is sent to another computer then repackaged again from there. Doesn't sound like what you're describing, but take a look just to eliminate it as a cause:

http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter09/kb/?p=2416

And if you'd like to submit a case to our support team describing the issue, I'd encourage you to do so here:

http://upload.articulate.com/

Heather Young

Thanks Peter!  You're becomming my "go to guy"

I'm not transferring between computers, but placing source files onto a shared network drive for later access and update, if necessary. 

Right now, I'm doing everything on my hard drive, packaging the final product (or trying to), then moving this package over to a network drive for storage.  During the initial packaging I'm finding that it's "ignoring" some of the source Engage or Quizmaker files, so I'm having to go and add them independently to the .zip folder, then ensure the linking stays true (which sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't).

Am I making sense?

Thanks

Heather

Peter Anderson

Happy to be of service

And yeah, I think I'm following you, but I'm curious to know if the recipients of your files are opening them on a network drive. Here are some tips for managing your files which can help prevent issues.

1.  Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 

2. You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).

3.  Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names.

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article:


http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx

Curtis Kynerd

Not sure this is the best place to ask this question, but here goes.

I have received an Articulate_ package from a colleague.  I needed to open the project, and publish it to my LMS.  The first problem I have encountered is that the audio files do not play upon review (either locally or when previewing).  So, I re-inserted them and published successfully.  Then I received another package file from the same source.  This time it appeared that I needed to re-insert the audio files as I did on the previous one.  However, when I insert them in PowerPoint, I hear nothing.  I went back and checked the files to ensure they are ok, and they are. But when I import them into the project, I hear nothing.  They show in the Custome Animation pane, but I can't hear them when I click on Play.  Am I missing something simple here? 

Justin Wilcox

Hi Curtis.

If they are following the steps to send you a package file as outlined here, that should give you everything you need including the audio to work with a presentation. The audio will be in a PPTA file. For things to work you need to make sure that the PowerPoint and the PPTA files are in the same folder with the same name, different extension like:

My Presentation.PPTX

My Presentation.PPTA

Curtis Kynerd

I did a little further testing.  I actually have 3 courses that were packaged and sent to me.  Only one of them is creating the problem.  So, I imported an audio file from a course that was working correctly into the problem course.  The audio file plays perfectly, but the audio files from the problem course do not.  So, next step, I imported one of the audio files from the problem course into one of the good courses and it would not play in that course either.  However, when I play any of the audio files from the problem course using Window Media Player, they play perfectly.  So there is something preventing the audio files from the problem course from playing successfully in PowerPoint.  But what that is has me baffled.  Any ideas?

Dave Neuweiler

I think I'd try this:

Open the audio editor, then click on the file icon in the upper left. Choose export to (either WAV or MP3).

After the export, have a listen... if the files play, just re-import them into Articulate. You'll have to re-sync any animations, but at least you'll have audio.

Dave

Curtis Kynerd

I am back revisiting this problem.  I see now that the published course does contain the audio files, even though they will not play locally.  I need to do some basic editing of the files, and thought I might do that in the Audio Editor.  However, something has happened.  I was listening to the audio file in the Editor, then closed it.  Upon returing to the Audio Editor, it would never open.  It just showed the progress window, and froze.  So, I closed the program using the Task Manager.  When I opened the project back up and tried to go to the Audio Editor, I found that all audio files were erased except the first one.  Can I upload the project and let you take a look at it to give me some guidance.  Each slide still shows the audio file, but I am at a loss to understand what is happening.  This is my first experience with using someone else's package files.  To complicate matters, I am trying to edit Portuguese (no I don't speak it!).  Ugh!!!!!