Video editing

Jul 20, 2011

Hi!
I have inserted several videoclips into my Presenter course material. It works fine, but I notice a quality difference between un-edited and edited clips. Let me explain:
1. Regarding the un-edited video clips: I record MP4 files with the camera and convert them directly into FLV clips with Articulate video encoder. Good quality. Works fine.
2. Regarding the edited video clips: I record MP4 files, edit them in iMovie (on an iMac G5), export them as MP4, and finally convert them into a FLV clip with Articulate video encoder. It works but quality is noticably less than in case 1.

What to do? Is there a way to edit (I often need multiple trims, and video encoder only allows front/end trims) my original MP4 files before I convert them to FLV, without loss of quality?

Any ideas?
3 Replies
Gnaneswar R

Hello Marcus,

You have mentioned that in the video encoder that quality is good then why don' t you try to edit the video like trimming or adding the logo in the video encoder. I have tried for my works really it works and good and also not time consuming process.

I think it may be help u in editing the video.

Thanks,

Stefano Posti

Hello Marcus,

I've never used IMovie, but I'm quite sure that the problem is in the Imovie encoding; When you export your movie, you should consider to generate a high-quality video (the native h.264 Quicktime MOV is enough, though!); and then, use Articulate video encoder to transform it into a flv file. I think you'll see the difference...

Take a Try... remember: not all videoediting software have good encoders...

Hope it helps!

Marcus Erasmus

Stefano Posti said:

Hello Marcus,

I've never used IMovie, but I'm quite sure that the problem is in the Imovie encoding; When you export your movie, you should consider to generate a high-quality video (the native h.264 Quicktime MOV is enough, though!); and then, use Articulate video encoder to transform it into a flv file. I think you'll see the difference...

Take a Try... remember: not all videoediting software have good encoders...

Hope it helps!

Hi Stefano,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to adjust some of the iMovie settings, but to no avail: quality is considerably reduced by the route of camera mp4>imovie editing>mov or mp4>video encoder>flv, instead of camera mp4>video encoder>flv.

It could be that my iMovie is too old (version 6), but I doubt that is the problem. The point is that I need to do some editing, just trimming my short video clips is not enough, otherwise Articulate video encoder would be sufficient. For my current project I will accept this reduced quality, but I would like to find a solution for my next projects. Any other idea how to improve final flv video quality?

Regards, Marcus

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.