Adding scrollbar to text entry field in Storyline 360

Nov 24, 2017

I have some courses that I originally built in Storyline 2. Some of the slides contain text-entry fields that gain scrollbars once the text begins to overflow.

I have recently moved these courses over to SL360 and the text-entry fields no longer gain a scrollbar, instead the text runs out of the field (see pic).

Storylin 360 TEB

Is there a way to easily add scrollbars back on to the text-entry fields that I'm missing?

This also happens in a newly created SL360 course so isn't related to converting SL2 to SL360.

Thanks!

39 Replies
Marcela Garreton

Hi Ashley and Crystal

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, I was using the modern player.  Changing the player to classic makes the scroll bar appear.  However, if my text box is set up as a single line (31px), it does not wrap the text, does not start a new line when I enter, or add a scroll bar, regardless of classic or modern player.  Furthermore, none of the autofit options for the text box make any difference.

Please advise if you still need me to send a sample.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Marcela,

If you have a text entry that is set up to only a single line, Storyline won't expand the box as you continue typing or try to navigate to a new line. You'll see that the line of text continues to expand, and the user can keep typing, but it all remains on one line. 

When using the Enter key: 

• If the text-entry field is tall enough to accommodate more than one line of text, the Enter key will add a line break (return), so the learner can start a new paragraph. For example:

• If the data-entry field is only tall enough for a single line of text, the Enter key will assign the learner's response to the variable. In other words, it will submit the learner's response. For example: 

The issue with the scrollbar not appearing for a larger text entry field that can accommodate multiple lines of text is something we reported to our team, so we'll keep you posted on that here. It's worth noting that you can still scroll in that field, you just won't see a scrollbar.

Hope that helps clarify the setup, and we'll keep you posted on that other issue here. 

Chris Pim

Hi Ren,

Well, I fail to understand how this can't be considered a critical issue. You can't seemingly produce an input text field that has a fixed height (as would be the case in most instances I would have thought) that produces a scroll bar on text overflow. You can use the arrow keys and the mouse scroll wheel to navigate up and down the input field...but no scrollbar appears to indicate that this is possible? it makes no sense at all.

Jose Tansengco

Hi Agnes, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into this issue. I can confirm that we are still tracking the known issue where no scroll bars are generated for text that exceeds the height of the text input box. I've added your voice, and we'll be sure to let everyone subscribed to this thread know as soon as we have any updates to share!

Tim St. Clair

I havealso just tried to use a text entry which allows multiple lines of text. Can confirm that:

• MODERN PLAYER: the scroll bar does not appear when text is long enough (e.g. has multiple lines).
  • CLASSIC PLAYER: the scroll bar appears as expected.

Given this issue is at least 6 years old and it clearly states just a few replies above this one that "unlikely to be fixed", I think the classic-fix is likely the only fix. It's pretty shoddy.