Blurry images after Storyline 360 latest update, June 18, 2019 (Build 3.29.19305.0)

Jun 27, 2019

I've noticed all of my images I insert into this Storyline 360 course appear blurry everywhere - on the Storyline development screens, when previewed and when published (either as HTML5 or Flash).

The images are all high quality. My Publish settings is set to 100% quality.  I've tried pngs, jpgs, all identical blurry results. All this is happening after applying animation to images or shapes build in storyline.

This is happening after Storyline 360's latest update, June 18, 2019 (Build 3.29.19305.0)

50 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi David,

Thanks for the additional information.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file (even just a one slide sample course with a screen shot) to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Darrin Hayes

I've noticed the same issues. In my current project I tried saving the application screenshots to .gif format first, then inserting into the SL file, and got much better results in my case. Though when using .gif files, if I included the SL zoom option it tended to degrade them again. So in a few instances where I needed the zoom effect I did manually using layers.

Fiona Glenny

Hi - I'm really struggling with blurry images in SL360 - both in development, in preview, in published output.  Last time I tried, I raised a ticket, tried all the solutions, failed and  abondoned SL due to looming deadlines.  I was able to  build  content in Rise that time - but this isn't practical for the content I want to build now.

I've had a break from content authoring and  never previously had to fiddle with re-sizing etc. It always worked like a charm.

I've tried all the suggestions for re-sizing, tried mulitple format options - nothing gives a crisp screenshot. Do I really have to go down the road of single-frame video to get decent screen images?

I'm spending more time fiddling to try to find a solution, than actually building my content...and have deadlines looming.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Fiona and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

I appreciate you contacting us to share what you are running into.

I was also able to track down your original case with Vevette, but it looks like we did not hear back from you.

We have some documentation here on best practices for high-quality images and videos.

If you can share an image you're having difficulty with and your .story file, I'd be happy to take a look to share some specific advice on your setup.

Fiona Glenny

Hi Leslie - should I just pick up on the old case ticket? Sorry but last time I simply ran out of time to fiddle and abandoned SL360.

Published content is much better - including some images. But screenshots of the application still cause problems. Regardless of snipping tool or image format, it seems impossible to get a good resolution on a full screen image. Should it be possible? I can get an ok output when inserting smaller sections of an application screen, just not the full application screen.

Vincent Scoma

Hi Pete,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing this snag with us. 

First, I wanted to provide these best practices on working with high-quality images and videos that may help. Do the images appear to be affecting specific projects, or are the images blurry in each project? 

Please keep us updated on this! 

Jeremy Stump

Amanda, I have also been experiencing this issue too and I have been talking with Articulate support about this issue. You can find my discussion thread link below to see if they provide any helpful feedback in the future. The only way I have been able to really get the best image quality is to replace all the published image files with the original image files. This of course is not ideal. There also seems to be more problems with image quality for me on Chrome on PC than any of the other browser or system combinations. Chrome on my Mac usually looks pretty good, but looks even better when I replace all the published images. It would be great if you could report your findings to them as well so we can hopefully get this resolved soon.

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/very-blurry-text-and-images-in-chrome-html5?page=4

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Mary!

Thanks for writing in, and I'm sorry for the trouble.

As a good first step, have you had a chance to see if the best practices in this article help with the quality?

If there isn't a difference, would you be willing to connect with our Support Engineers through this private case link? We'd love to pull a few system logs and review what may be happening in your scenario!

Fiona Glenny

Hi - I unfortunately never had the time to upload examples to my original case - been assigned to other tasks. But back now with training, and can report that my colleagues and I still experience blurry image and video issues in both Storyline and Rise.  Last year, I went through the best practices in the link without any breakthrough result. Wondering why it continues to be an issue...

Mary Norton

This is the solution I have found (it isn't pretty). After I have Import a PPT file/slide and confirm that the image is blurry on the Storyline screen, I go back to the image on the PPT slide. I right click on the image, choose 'Size and Position', click 'Reset' and then I copy the reset image. Then I return to the Storyline screen, delete the blurry image and paste the new 'Reset' image from my clipboard. Most times I need to resize the image on the Storyline screen, but the image comes in very clean. Ridiculous amount of work, but it works. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello David and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Assuming you're following the best practices that have been shared here, we'd be happy to take a look at your project file.

I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening with your permission. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.