Can you move the closed caption position in storyline360?

Nov 28, 2023

I am working on a project with videos, and we want to add subtitles that can be toggled on and off. I am creating the videos in storyline to add the closed captions, then putting them into storyline blocks in Rise. My problem is, the text for the closed captions displays below the video and is hard to see that way. Can the closed captions be moved around so they are higher up on the video? I cant find a way to do it without losing the ability to turn them on and off. 

4 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi Ashley!

It sounds like you were looking for a way to reposition the closed captioning from your Storyline course.

I'm happy to share we currently have a feature request logged that would allow authors to adjust the placement of closed captioning in Storyline! I've included you in the feature report and will update this discussion if it makes it onto our Feature Roadmap.

Thanks for reaching out!

Eric Santos

Hi Ashley,

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 86, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

One of the new features we’ve included: 

• Position captions at the top or bottom of the slide to ensure closed caption visibility and prevent the obstruction of critical course content.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You’ll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ashley Litsey

Articulate team, are you planning to add the option to position closed captions per slide?  

I am currently working on a software simulation where the Submit button is hidden by a closed caption.  I don't want to move all captions to the top of the screen as the video is part of a series and none of the others are like that.  It would be nice to also have the option to left, center, or right justify closed captions globally and per slide.  

Steven Benassi

Hi Ashley!

Thanks for the feedback on the type of functionality you'd like to see with closed captions in Storyline!

We are tracking a feature request to give authors the ability to reposition closed captions for each slide. I've linked this discussion to the feature report and will provide updates as soon as we have news to share. If you'd like to stay up to date, please bookmark our Feature Roadmap.

Have a great start to your week!