Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi everyone,

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 86, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

One of the new features we’ve included: 

• Position captions at the top or bottom of the slide to ensure closed caption visibility and prevent the obstruction of critical course content.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You’ll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

62 Replies
John Morgan

Hi Alex,

There isn’t an immediate resolution for this bug yet, but it has already been reported. When we release a fix, we’ll be sure to update this discussion. I hope others in the community will share any workarounds they have to ensure closed captions appear correctly on a mobile device when the Player is turned off.

Alex  Bradley

Hi John Morgan, 

Thank you for the link to Matthew Bibby's very useful workaround to repositioning Closed Captions:

https://matthewbibby.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/posts/2018/03/01/captions/How%20to%20Reposition%20Closed%20Captions%20in%20Storyline%20360.pdf

I have little experience with HTML5 / JavaScript so this is a golden opportunity for me to learn!

I also wanted to share this excerpt from Matthew's guide which I think is relevant for all of us:

There is a reason why Articulate hasn't given people the ability to reposition and redesign the closed captions:

"This is on purpose – as captions are primarily about accessibility, we have formatted them to ensure they meet the standard legibility guidelines for contrast, size, line length etc. and are able to adapt to e.g. mobile devices appropriately. We aren't opposed to adding more flexibility in a future update, but generally the further you customize your captions, the less compliant they will be, and the harder it will become for us to adapt them dynamically to different playback environments while respecting the choices you make as an author."

- Simon Taghioff, Director of User Experience at Articulate.

Simon's a good bloke. And he knows what he's talking about. So if you proceed with this tutorial, please note that any changes you make to the positioning of the captions will not be supported by Simon or the rest of the team at Articulate. 

Cheers, 

Alex

Kelly Auner

Hi, all!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 68, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

One of the fixes we’ve included is:

Closed captions are sometimes displayed in the middle of the slide on mobile devices in landscape mode.

To take advantage of this update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

Eric Santos

Hi everyone,

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 86, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

One of the new features we’ve included: 

• Position captions at the top or bottom of the slide to ensure closed caption visibility and prevent the obstruction of critical course content.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You’ll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.