Closed Captions not showing up on Preview since update 2/1/2018

Feb 01, 2018

I've been able to preview the cc's without issue on the Storyline 360 trial, but the licensed version isn't showing them. The cc button is there and appears clickable, but the captions don't. They will show on publish okay, but it's an inconvenient way to proof your the file. My colleague just ran the Storyline 360 update, and has the same problem now. Any fixes?

40 Replies
Kate Kromer

I too have had the issue with cc text overlapping. It seems to occur on slides where there is more than one audio track or audio and video with audio on the same timeline. Since multiple audio/video tracks are common in my courses, this occurs quite frequently. The workaround for me has been to combine the audio tracks into one file and then mute the audio in the video file if there is one. It's kind of time consuming, but it usually works. When I do this, I usually have a fair amount of cc text to add in manually since for now anyway, Storyline only supports one .srt file per audio track.

I'll be happy to hear when there's a fix for this. :) Thanks!

Tim Danner

I'm experiencing the issue of the cc icon not displaying in the player of the Storyline 3 published (web) copy. (It shows in the Preview.) The issue appears to be prevalent in the HTML5 version of Firefox Windows 10 and Mac Sierra desktop browsers. Based on my tests:

Windows 10 Enterprise
Version 1709 / Build 16299.34

Chrome 65.0.3325.181 (Flash) - cc icon is present
Chrome 65.0.3325.181 (HTML5) - cc icon is present

Edge 41.16299.334.0/HTML 16.16299 (Flash) - cc icon is present
Edge 41.16299.334.0/HTML 16.16299 (HTML5) - cc icon is present

Firefox 59.0.2 (HTML5) - no cc icon

Internet Explorer 11.334.16299.0 (Flash) - cc icon is present
Internet Explorer 11.334.16299.0 (HTML5) - cc icon is present

Mac Sierra
Version 10.12.6

Chrome 65.0.3325.181 (HTML5) - cc icon is present

Firefox 59.0.2 (HTML5) - no cc icon

Safari 11.03 (HTML5) - cc icon is present

Tim Danner

Appears I need to retract my earlier post. I was going to provide a link, so I uploaded it to a web server and discovered the cc icon now displays for the HTML5 version in Firefox. It also displays in Firefox when viewed in Canvas via a SCORM package. Oddly, the cc icon doesn't display in FF when viewing the published content residing on my local machine, which was how I was viewing it when initially testing the closed captioning. So, I think everything is good, though I won't know for sure until down the road when the client posts the content on its LMS, which I don't have access to.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Nicole! Happy to help.

First, let's be sure you're on the latest update of Storyline 360. To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.15.15581.0 in the bottom-right corner. 

If you're already on the latest update and you're still having issues with the closed captioning, can you help me with a few more details?

• What happens when you click the closed caption button in the player?
  • Does this problem happen while previewing in Storyline, or only after publishing the project?
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Deanna,

What issue are you having and what version of Storyline are you using?

The original issue posed here with the closed captions not displaying on preview was corrected in Update 13. You can read about the updates we've had and be sure that you're on the latest.

If you're still having difficulty, please share the details so I can further assist.

Katie Riggio

Hi, everyone. I'm excited to let you know that Update 22 for Storyline 360 is live!

Remember the issue where closed captions began overlapping when using the seekbar Rewind/Replay button? That issue is fixed! 🔧

Check out all the new features and fixes here, and here's how to update Storyline 360 to enjoy everything this release has to offer. Be sure to let us know what you think!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.