Easy way to crop SL 360 timeline suggestion

Sep 04, 2019

Hello,

I've come across a pain point in a project I'm working on, where it would be nice to have on the timeline a right click > crop to Playhead. Instead of going all the way to the end and dragging the "end" of the timeline back to where you want it. 

Example:

I have a slide and inserted an audio clip. The timeline then goes to the end of the audio clip (makes sense), but then I crop the clip down to 35 seconds (out of a 20 min audio clip). The timeline still goes to 20 mins even though I only need the slide to be 35 seconds long. 

Does this make sense? 

3 Replies
Jerry Beaucaire

This is a frequent complaint, but there is a workaround. Sorry, it is still manual, but it's way faster once you get the hang of it.   It goes like this:

1. Click quickly to the end of the timeline
  2. Grab the right edge with the mouse and hold
  3. Now tap the LEFT ARROW key with your other hand.

The timeline should crop down to the end of the last item on the timeline and you're still holding the edge, so you can instantly adjust a little to the right if needed. 

Give it a try!

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Ben,

It does make sense and Jerry is correct about this being a request we've seen previously.

Glad that he was able to chime in and help you in the meantime.

I've tagged this conversation to our request as we continue tracking and so that we can share any updates we may have with you here.

I wanted to share some information about how we manage these feature requests as that may be helpful.

Lauren Connelly

Hi all!

I am jumping into this discussion to share that we just released Storyline 360 (Build 3.63.27628.0) which includes changes to the timeline.

New: Create slides faster with time-saving upgrades to the timeline. Multi-select objects and move them all at once. Choose where pasted objects appear in the stacking order or even paste them into an existing group. Align objects to the playhead or vice versa. And when the timeline is too long, you can instantly reset it to five seconds or shorten it to the object with the longest duration.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app!

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to reach out in this discussion or in a support case.