Engage in Storyline

Oct 03, 2012

I'm insertting an Engage interaction into Storyline. When I published, the interaction opened in a new window. I can't seem to find how I can control where the interaction opens. I'd like it in the playback frame. Anyone know where the properties for determining where an Engage interaction opens are?    

15 Replies
Jeanette Brooks

Hey Gary,

In Storyline, go to the slide where you've inserted your Engage interaction and select the it. Then click the the Engage Tools/Options tab on the toolbar. There is an option there called "Show" and you can select "In slide" or "In new browser window." It sounds like maybe you just need to switch that selector to "In Slide."

Jeanette Brooks

Hey Gary, that's odd - you imported your interaction from Engage, right? Here is what I'm seeing when I import: https://jeanette.viewscreencasts.com/29a66ab0dd3040f0bf15cc370d86864f ... if you're seeing other behavior, would you mind submitting your files to our support team so they can investigate? You can do that on this page. Thanks!

Jeanette Brooks

Oh hey I'm so glad that helped, Gary! And also, thank you for mentioning the detail about story view - I can totally see how it would be confusing that the tab's not available in both views. It's helpful for us to know that, actually, because we'll be able to anticipate that next time someone asks. Appreciate your post!

Jeanette Brooks

Hi there Chris, and welcome! Yeah, to import Engage interactions into Storyline, you must have Articulate Engage '09 installed on your computer and activated with a valid serial number. You still have the Engage license though, right? You could just reinstall it and activate it with the same serial number you used when you purchased it, and then you should be good to go. You can download the installation file from the free download page here

Jeanette Brooks

Unfortunately it won't be possible to import the Engage content without an activated Engage license. If you previously published the Engage content as a standalone interaction though, and you have that content in its published form, you could perhaps insert the published interaction as a local web object in Storyline. You would just need to place the published Engage content in its own folder and change the engage.html filename to index.html. Then insert that folder as a web object in your Storyline project.

Chris Willis

One more thing.  I downloaded the Engage and it worked, but now i ran into another problem.  Once i publish the file i tried to put it on a shared drive here at work and it wont play.  However someone can pull it off of a shared drive and put the whole folder on there computer, select the file and it works.  Is there a reason why it wont work on shared drives?  Also is there a way to publish the projects into a single executable file that will be easy to access from any type of media?

Jeanette Brooks

Hey Chris, not sure exactly what type of drive you're working with when you say a shared drive, but if it's a network drive, that could be causing issues... Flash content may not play properly over a a network, as explained in this article from Adobe. 

And actually on a related note: if you're publishing for web and then playing the published output from anywhere other than a web server, things might not work as expected. You'll need to place your content in the location for which you published it (for example, if you publish it for web, be sure to upload it to a web server and test it from there). If you need to test stuff locally, it's best to publish for CD and then play the content from your hard drive, since publishing for CD prepares the output for proper playback via a local destination. Basically all this just avoids the trouble of running into browser security restrictions during playback.

And no, the tools don't support publishing to a single file. 

Chris Willis

I am putting it on a network drive and i am running into the problems that the article explains, so i do appreciate the answer on that one.  Also while i am playing with this software for work I have another question about the IPAD app.  I was able to load a program onto Articulate Online and view it with the App on the IPAD.  I viewed the file with the IPAD, however when i go online to look up the report information it shows that someone viewed it, but it wont tell me WHO acutually viewed it.  How, if it is possible, can I track the viewers from IPADs.

Jeanette Brooks

Hi Chris! If you need to track data about individual users in Articulate Online, you would need to set up their user info (and create passwords for them) in Articulate Online. More about the here. This way, learners will be able to log in, which will allow AO to identify them and track their info when they view your course.

Also, you should designate your course as private (which means learners must log in to view the content), so that the system knows who they are when they view your courses. If content is public, Articulate Online still tracks the views, but the results will show up as anonymous if the users aren't logged in.

One more thing: since earlier you mentioned importing Engage content into Storyline, I wanted to let you know:  if you want learners to be able to view your course on an iPad, you'll want to rebuild your Engage content in Storyline rather than use imported interactions. The reason is, Engage interactions import as Flash web objects, which aren't supported on an iPad. Here's a good resource page that describes which features are supported in each platform (Flash, Articulate Mobile Player, and HTML5).

Chris Willis

Well so now i ran into the problem with saving the data on the IPAD.  I published the content with all 3 choices selected; HTML 5, IPAD APP, and Save Offline content.  I see it on Articulate Online and i was able to access it on the IPAD, but there is no slider bar up at the top right like there is supposed to be to save the data.  Any ideas on why not?

Jeanette Brooks

Hi again Chris,

Currently courses that are hosted in Articulate Online don't provide the option to download the content for offline viewing, since learners need to be online in order for the course to send tracking data to your account. It's possible that a future version of the Articulate Mobile Player may support offline viewing for AO-hosted courses, and if so, at that time this setting will be honored for courses you previously published. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to submit a feature request if this is something that you'd like to see in a future update. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.