Error report

Apr 24, 2020

Hello,

I have a problem with opening scenes.

Everytime I click the slides containing Mp4 videos, error message pops up.

I didn't do anything special, just clicking the slides.

Can you help me to stop showing this error message.

Thank you

1 Reply
Vincent Pincaro

Hello, Soohyun!  Welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 

As an expectation, opening scenes from a project should be easy and with no issues. I understand that this pop-up error has been interfering with your productivity. Let me assist you and I hope this response will get you going back to using the application efficiently.  

It was great and helpful that you’ve also included the screenshot with your post. The error message “Articulate Storyline Error Report - We’re sorry, something went wrong with Articulate Storyline and it might close,” is one of those familiar ones found in our threads. 

There are 3 possible issues. First, it can be specific to the file you're working on. Second, it can be an irregularity with the application you're using. Third and lastly, your computer's operating system could be a factor but this is very unlikely in most cases. Good thing is, software issues can be fixed. 

Let me go ahead and provide you guidance for issues 1 and 2:  

1.  FILE or CONTENT ISSUE:

• If it is happening to only one course (with others not having issues), you may want to try the workaround of importing the slides (those ones that have issues) into a new course. You can be guided by our online reference.  
  • For some users, this error happens when they are using network folders or other storage avenues (flash drive and external hard drive) that can sometimes lack space or have their own issues as well. I suggest that you create, save, publish, and edit your projects using your computer’s own hard drive and feel free to transfer these projects to other storage means once finished.

• There are situations when the name of the file is influencing the behavior. You may try changing the file's title by making it shorter and with no special characters. This is by following naming standards for Windows users.  

• Other creators attempt the detective work of selecting preview for each of the scenes, checking for some broken links, verifying individual slides, and viewing every layer. Some files get fixed after resetting these components. You may also try removing recently added scenes (when the file was working before these were added). Corrupted foreign content can cause issues to a file.

2.  APPLICATION ISSUE

• If it is something observed for every course created, there is a chance that the application has some irregularities. This should not worry you because you can follow these steps to run some fixes on your articulate software.
  • You may also want to try updating the application to the latest version. If this will not fix the issue, reinstalling the application will bring it back to its pristine state, free of errors. The online resource should guide you for doing both. 

When these steps do not get you back to working productively, reporting to Articulate's Quality and Engineering teams will be the next step. They help investigate potential bugs and get to the bottom of the issue. They are available to work with you on a case. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.