Exit Button

May 18, 2023

I created a Storyline course and published it to an LMS.

I noticed that if I expand my course using the [ ] symbol at the bottom of the player, and when the time comes to click the Exit Button, a white screen appears stating that the content is finished but with no way to get out of that screen and return.

The only way I get out is by dragging my mouse to the top of the screen and the X appears.  But the typical learner may not know to do this.  I think this is something that Articulate definitely needs to address.

When I use the button but change the trigger to "Complete Course" absolutely nothing happens in the LMS.

6 Replies
Luciana Piazza

Hi Deidra, 

Thanks so much for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear you're running into this snag. 

I understand you are having issues viewing the course correctly in full-screen mode. I have a few quick questions:

• How long have you been experiencing this behavior? What have you tried so far to fix this issue? 
  • Have you tried testing your course in SCORM Cloud? We recommend testing the behavior of your course in SCORM Cloud to see if the behavior is isolated to your LMS. You can test your course in SCORM Cloud, which is an LMS that we use for testing as well. Here's how: 

How to Troubleshoot Your LMS with SCORM Cloud

In order to better understand the setup of your course, it would be helpful to see your project file. Please feel free to share your .story file in this thread or privately in a support case.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Deidra Richards

Hi Luciana Piazza,

For privacy reasons, I cannot attach the entire course but I have attached here the last 2 slides – the one that leads to the Exit Page and the Exit Page itself.

I have also included a video to show what happens.

I tried opening the course on SCORM Cloud and the same things happened.

Jose Tansengco

Hello Deidra, 

Happy to help!

The page that you are referring to is the 'goodbye.html' page included in all Storyline 360 published courses. You can check out this article on how to either customize this page, or suppress it: 

One options if you're familiar with HTML is to included a note in the page to let the learners know that they can click on the [X] butter at the upper right hand corner to close the window, or remove it entirely.

Hope this helps!

Deidra Richards

Thanks for the advice.  I will look into what the article says.

I wouldn't want the users to click the X like I did in the video because though they are professionals, many of them have been in their field for a very long time and are not computer savvy at all.  I tutored them face to face and some of them have problems switching from one window to anotherwhile using a computer generally, or even one tab to another. 

So getting them to manipulate the mouse to the top of the screen for the X to appear and then clicking the X before it disappears may seem fairly simple to us but may be very difficult for them.

I am looking for a simple way for the window to disappear when they click the EXIT button and then they are able to proceed to other sections of the course in the LMS.