Formatting a Marker in Storyline 360

Sep 10, 2019

Hi folks, I'm looking for some advice on formatting markers.

1) Is there a way to change the size of the marker icon from it's default? It's a little too big and I'd like to make it a bit smaller.

2) We are trying to use markers as a way for learners to explore supporting content for content being reviewed on the slide. The slide content also has audio that plays automatically when the slide is viewed. We would like the timeline to pause when the learner clicks the marker icon to read the info in the bubble and then resume when the learner closes the bubble. 

I have been able to successfully pause the timeline when the learner clicks the icon by placing a trigger on the marker. I have been unable to figure out how to automatically resume the timeline when the learner click out/closes the bubble.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies
Jonathan Sam

Hi Brian, the article wasn't able to help with the icon size question. I found this post that indicates the icons can't be resized - Using Markers, which is unfortunate.

I think that other issue is a tricky one. I'm starting to think I may have to instruct learners to manually pause the presentation if they want to read the info provided in the bubble.

Brian Allen

It would be nice if markers had hover and selected states that you could use to trigger things, but they don't unfortunately.

I know the markers are nice, but because of these types of issues I generally find myself building custom markers. Very easy to do, and most often I would build the marker content on individual layers and show the layer when the marker is selected. Alternatively you could build and use states.

I like the layer option better than states because in your layer properties you can pause the timeline of the base layer, which makes it very easy to pause your audio. Upon closing the layer the base layer automatically resumes.

If you want to make it super easy for a marker to be "closed" (thereby hiding the slide layer) one trick I often use is to place a transparent shape over the entire slide of the layer and set a trigger to hide the slide layer when clicked. This basically allows the user to click anywhere and close the marker content.

Hope this at least gives you some ideas as far as options.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.