How to add slide number in Storyline 360

May 15, 2017

Hello,

I'm trying to understand how to add slide numbers in Storyline 360. I have gone through several posts, but none of which worked. I have read that I have to manually add a trigger on each slide, and that doesn't seem productive to me if I have over 30+ slides. 

Thanks,

Julie

52 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Julie, 

There isn't a built-in feature for slide numbers in Storyline 360, since it's designed to be non-linear. I have seen lots of ways to do it based on using variables or a manual entry, though. We'd love to hear more thoughts on how this feature could dramatically impact your workflow and course development in a Feature request here! And in case you're wondering, here's how we manage all the great ideas we gather from the community. 🙂

Luke Benfield

Here's a very rough example (SL360 file) of using a number variable and placing the variable reference and triggers on one slide master layout to create the effect of slide numbers. You could copy/paste the triggers and reference across multiple layouts as well.

Granted, the assumption here is that you are using stock PREV/NEXT buttons and your course is linear, which may or may not be your case. 

The other thought to note, is that I took away the PREV button on slide 1, and the next button on slide 5 to prevent the user from adding or subtracting beyond the range of 1-5.

Hope this helps.

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for adding your voice, Cecile! I can certainly understand how slide numbering would make reviewing projects a lot easier. We're continuously exploring new features, and customer input is extremely valuable in that process. :)

In the meantime, I would recommend adding the player menu with numbered entries, just for the review process. Once your project is ready to launch, you can remove the menu before publishing the file. 

Rodney Schmidt

No offense to staff, but page numbering has been repeatedly submitted as a feature request since 2012 at least. 

Customers keep returning to request this feature over and over again, with no action taken over the course of three full releases and X number of incremental updates of Storyline.

As has been pointed out so very many times; Storyline already tracks scene / slide numbers in an array as they are created. This information is available to Storyline... it uses that information to create the menu. Why is this information not available to the developer as global variables?

Even in a non-linear scenario, it should be possible for the developer to ignore slide numbering for slides they want exempted from the count.

Honestly... it should be as easy as checking a box.

"Add Slide Number?" Check.

"Exclude from slide numbering" Check.

I'm sure that Storyline users find new things to add to the feature request list every day... but slide numbering has got to be one of the oldest and most oft-submitted feature requests.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Rodney,

No offense taken! I know the Feature request process has been shrouded in mystery and a bit of an unknown for folks...but we're working on it! Here's a look at the process our team goes through.  I'll be sure to pass your thoughts along to the team as we continue to look at this feature. 

We're always working to improve Articulate tools and improve our processes - so know that the team is focused on building a project you love! ❤️

Ron Franks

Our company has been using Lectora and we're looking to move over to Storyline. This is one feature that is missing. We've been using a variable for total and current page numbers that is activated upon entering every page. This value is displayed in a text object in the interface.

Access to the current and total page numbers would be very helpful.

Jelle de Jong

If I understand correctly, right now in SL3 there is no feature to get this done? In SL2 I used javascript but in this article they say it is  not supported anymore: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/current-slide-number

I really need the slide numbers of SL2, but the font increase in HTML5 of SL3 as well... Why remove features that were working fine.. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jelle, 

The access to the player variables (such as CurrentSlide) were something that were not purposefully exposed in Storyline 1 or 2, but that folks were able to find workarounds for and access through unsupported methods.

With the changes that were made to the Storyline 3 and 360 player based on our updates for HTML5, it removed those "back doors" to system variables. I'm sorry that's caused you an additional struggles, and our team is keeping an eye on ways we could incorporate these features into future updates. 

Curtis Wiens

A work around I created, since I have no back and next buttons on my course, was to create a variable that holds the total number of slides (entered as its default value) then create a slide number variable that increments by 1 on each slide when the timeline starts. %varSlideNumber% of %varSlidesTotal% If you have a back and next button you could subtract when you hit the back and add on the next btn. I am sure I am not the first developer to do this. :)

Yvonne Leklou

I have been able to add page numbering to my quizzes using previously posted advice. By adding a landing page prior to the actual quiz, I am able to set the page value back to 0 should the user move to the quiz via Menu (customer's request). However, the issue I have run into is during the review, Prev/Next buttons appear. I intentionally don't use them in the quiz. Should a learner select Prev during the review, the page numbering increased. I would think I need to add a trigger to the previous button to subtract 1 ... however, I'm not sure where to place the trigger.. for the Review Previous button. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.