Letters 't' and 'f' going missing in Storyline 360 for small population of users?

Jan 27, 2017

I am getting some really odd feedback for one of our Storyline 360 courses (published for HTML5 with Flash backup). Has anyone encountered this / knows what is going on? Unfortunately I haven't been able to replicate the issue. Here are some of the comments the course is getting:

• "Why are all the t's and f's missing?"
  • "Most all T's and F's are missing"
  • When opened in Explorer there were missing letter so it was very hard to read.
  • "Some of the slides had letters missing"
  • "All the missing letters were very odd. Was there a point?"
  • "The content was difficult to read mostly because of there were letters missing throughout the slides. It seemed mainly all the "t's" and "f's"
  • Why are all the t's and f's missing? That was very strange and might be very hard for people with visual difficulties.
  • several letters were missing difficult to read.
352 Replies
Leisa F

I am experiencing the same issue. Fs are missing from various spots in the Notes. 

Storyline 360, update 3.14.15225.0

HTML with flash fallback publish

Open Sans Player font with Hungarian text.

We actually can't duplicate issue in Chrome or Internet Explorer, but others are reporting the issue. This is disconcerning as we don't view the issue in SCORM or Articulate Review, and thusly can't know if just changing the player font is a viable solution.

Has there been a definitive solution, that doesn't involve emptying cache? We can't expect learners to be emptying caches. Is there a definitive font known to NOT cause this issue (again, using Hungarian text).

Thanks!

Tracy Carroll

Yes, it seems odd to me that Roboto did not have an issue, but Calibri was an IE disaster for my client. Calibri is not exactly an exotic font!

For this project, I used a template from the Content Library as the basic template, then customized it for my client. I didn't change the fonts, however.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi all,

Thanks for checking in on this issue. I wanted to share Mike's response from about a month ago as this is something we're still working on:

Hi all,
The way we currently handle Storyline HTML5 fonts with ligatures makes it so the font quality matches in Storyline and in the published output. While this works well for the majority of use cases, we know that it causes problems in Internet Explorer when a security setting is enabled that prohibits web fonts from being downloaded. We hear you that this is painful. And we’ve come up with a solution to address it. It’s not going to be an easy fix, so we can’t give an ETA just yet, but it is definitely at the top of the priority list.

Also, we'd still recommend taking a look at the fixes and workarounds mentioned here in case they'll help with your set up. 

Sam Carter
Ashley Terwilliger

Hi all,
The way we currently handle Storyline HTML5 fonts with ligatures makes it so the font quality matches in Storyline and in the published output. While this works well for the majority of use cases, we know that it causes problems in Internet Explorer when a security setting is enabled that prohibits web fonts from being downloaded. We hear you that this is painful. And we’ve come up with a solution to address it. It’s not going to be an easy fix, so we can’t give an ETA just yet, but it is definitely at the top of the priority list.

"While this works well for the majority of use cases" 

Is this accurate? Aren't there customers out there that have standardized desktop deployments based on IE?

Hi James,

We're still working on this one, but I promise we'll post here as soon as we have an update on it. Also, you can always check the Storyline version history here to see what fixes and new features were included. 

As long as you're subscribed to this discussion you should see an email notification of any new responses here. 

Steve Flowers

Might be more accurate to say that the default configuration for all browsers (as installed by the provider) work fine. In IE, when a custom security configuration is applied a super-annoying problem appears. Not sure why MS included this as an option in the security config. This issue is caused by organizations and individuals setting a configuration. Def not a default setting.

Dean E

Hi,

Is there any resolution to this? It is happening to us in IE also - it is not the font download settings and can't be Group Policy because it doesn't happen in all IE browsers in our organization.

For your reference, we are using Storyline embedded in Rise
- Rise font display has no issues, only the Storyline files
- It often occurs the 2nd or third time the content is accessed by the learner ie the fonts appear ok the first time
- The font causing the issues in our content is "Calibri" 

We have a large number of courses we have just pushed out and many users have experienced  this issue and can't resolve. Please assist.

Please see the screenshots

-D

Sam Carter
Dean E

Hi,

Is there any resolution to this? It is happening to us in IE also - it is not the font download settings and can't be Group Policy because it doesn't happen in all IE browsers in our organization.

Please see the screenshots

Hard to understand how this problem can remain unaddressed longer than one week.

Tina Mesic

Hi,

We started using Articulate 360 about a month ago. We have created an assessment and published it as SCORM and hosted it on our LMS. Few of our staff have experienced missing Ts and Fs on their screen - not a large number though.  We are using IE version 11. Any help on this please.

I have attached a screen shot that one of our staff did. Thank you.

Hi Tina,

This discussion has gotten a bit long and so the earlier information may have been missed. There are a few fixes and workarounds here, and as you'll see it can be dependent on the users' browser. Our team is also still investigating an overall fix for this, and this is a priority for us, but also a large change to the current setup so we'll let folks know here as soon as it's ready. 

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Irene.  Just to confirm, is this happening for some users in Internet Explorer, or all browsers?  We have documented some solutions here while we're working toward a fix.

I know this issue has been open for awhile, and I'm sorry that you're dealing with it.  We're committed to making changes on the Storyline side to help.  We'll update you here once those changes are released!

Hi Stephanie,

Are all users seeing this issue? What do they see instead of the Gil Sans font? 

We're still working on the broader fix, but it's a big change to how fonts are currently rendered in Storyline, so I don't yet have an ETA. If you haven't taken a look at the other workarounds mentioned here, I'd start by seeing if those help your users! 

Katie Riggio

Hi, Andrew! Thanks for checking in, and for sharing this extra detail with us–I've shared this in our report. While we don't have an update to share as of yet, you'll receive a notification as soon as we post any new information here since you're now subscribed. 

Additionally, I did want to share these solutions since it seems like IE is the only affected browser just in case; let us know if that helps!