Poor image quality in Storyline 360

Apr 30, 2018

Hey guys,

I have found a few threads on poor image quality of previous versions of Storyline, however the new 360 version has also very poor image quality when piblishing. Please see attached screenshot: original image in high resolution saved in png format, imported via Insert Image into Storyline (smaller size! should work fine!) and when published in HTML5 - you can see this low-quality soapy artifacts.

Please let me know where I can adjust image quality settings to avoid that. It seems not to matter how carefully original images are selected with a good quality -if the end result is poor. Please help!

Thank you!

135 Replies
Anna Vann

Hello,

I am experiencing similar poor image quality issues in Storyline 360 version 3.57.26476.0. I am capturing screenshots in Snagit at full size 16:9 resolution, but when I add these screenshots to storyline, there is a distinct loss of image quality. I'm attaching a sample screenshot along with a screenshot of the slide preview. You can also find a review of my project (select the first option on the second screen) here: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/27e01377-bf55-46f0-90c3-07032df879d9/review 

My organization requires that we publish Storyline projects at 1400x788 resolution to fit in our course presentation software properly. I am taking screenshots at 1920x1080, so I should not be scaling up. I have checked that the required resolution is set properly in the Slide Size Setup options and have tried checking and unchecking the "Scale existing content" checkbox. I have a co worker who is publishing with similar options and not seeing this level of degradation to his screenshots. My monitor resolution is set to 16:9 as well, but I have tried images of various sizes and end up with the same results. 

Anna Vann

I have a coworker using screenshots at 1900x1080 and they are crisp and clear in both his storyline previews and published work at 1400x788. My understanding is that you can use bigger images and size down, but not the other way around. In any case, I have tried capturing at 1400x788 and it did not resolve the issue.

Another coworker suggested publishing with the "quality" setting maxed out and that seemed to help a bit, but did not fully resolve the issue.

Phil Mayor

For screenshots they are a special case you have taken an image of fixed pixels so reducing there size means there are less pixels to display the pixels you have. It is different for photos, reducing the size improves the quality. You should always capture screenshots at the size you will use.

Sent from my iPhone

Lauren Connelly

Hi all!

I am jumping into this discussion to share that we just released Storyline 360 (Build 3.63.27628.0) which includes changes to how images are handled.

Fixed: We improved how Storyline 360 handles images during import and in the published output, resulting in crisper images.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app!

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to reach out in this discussion or in a support case.