Resume sate not saved properly- to use SCORM 2004 or SCORM 1.2

Jun 30, 2020

We had published a course in SCORM 1.2 for our client, who are using Totara as their LMS. But there were issues with the SCORM package that the resume state was not saved properly. I could regenerate the issue in SCORM cloud. 

So I published the course with SCORM 2004 (3rd edition) with greater suspend data limit and then it worked fine in SCORM cloud. 

Before updating the version of SCORM in Totara, I checked if LMS supports SCORM 2004. 

I got the following reply:

Totara fully supports the AICC and SCORM 1.2 specification. It also
supports the SCORM 2004 specification, with the exception of these
extensions:
 - Content Aggregation Model
- The Run-Time Environment

- Sequencing and Navigation

How can I check if the SCORM 2004 package  from SL will be supported by Totara or not? Are these extensions part of SCORM 2004 from SL?

Thanks,

Vaishali

7 Replies
Dan Marsden

Totara's SCORM player is pretty much exactly the same as the one in Moodle - sounds like you're running into the suspend data limits imposed by the SCORM spec - you can turn this off in Moodle/Totara for SCORM 1.2 packages by going to admin > plugins > SCORM

more info here:https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/SCORM_settings#Other_Important_Settings

(same place in Totara)

Into Lead

Hello Dan, 

I checked from LMS and the setting was already disabled for Suspend data limits. Still the error persists. But when I published the course with SCORM 2004(3rd ed), it works perfectly in scorm cloud. The only thing is that I don't know if I should publish it in Totara or not.

How do we know if we are implementing the advanced areas like sequencing and navigation from SCORM 2004? 

Thanks,

Vaishali

Rebecca Fellows

I have the same question as Vaishali:  

"Totara Learn fully supports the AICC and SCORM 1.2 specifications. It also supports the SCORM 2004 specification, with the exception of these extensions:

Content Aggregation Model
The Run-Time Environment
Sequencing and Navigation

SCORM 2004 packages that do not use these extensions should function correctly in Totara Learn."

Does anyone know how to check if these extensions are present in a SCORM package? My searches have turned up empty. 

Thanks,

Phil Mayor

I would always use Scorm 1.2 over 2004 in Moodle, it makes it much easier to work out if the issue is in Moodle or your authoring tool.The interesting thing is in the documentation for Moodle it states Scorm 2004 is not supported and unless things have changed the Scorm player is virtually the same.

Rebecca Fellows

Thanks Phil, 

We usually use SCORM 1.2 but in the latest instance, the Rise course is not saving progress in the LMS (and SCORM Cloud) due to the suspend data limit being too large (4096 character limit for SCORM 1.2). SCORM 2004 4th ed is saving progress. I just wanted to ensure the above extensions aren't going to cause issues before I make the switch.