SL2 vs SL360/SL2

Nov 11, 2016

Does SL360 import SL2 .story files?  

Once a project is converted to SL360 is there any way back to SL2 file format?

Sam

9 Replies
LJ Beaupre

Leslie, I foolishly converted a story to 360 that I still needed for Storyline 2, thinking that I would actually be able to, you know, find the backup, and of course now I can't find it anywhere or open my file in its original program.

Where exactly IS the backup?

(Incidentally, the lack of backwards compatibility makes it utterly useless as a trial)

LJ Beaupre

Thanks for the quick reply, but I was afraid you'd say that.

The original folder is, of course, the first place I looked. There's no backup file there. In fact I searched my entire computer for the original file name and came up with only one file- the converted one.

I assume this means it did NOT save a backup, and I have to redo my entire project?

LJ Beaupre

Nevermind, answered my own question. 

It in fact saves here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Articulate\Storyline, which was not at all the original location- I've never seen this folder before.

It also adds a long string of digits to the name, and saves it as a .tmp which requires you to manually select the program you want to open it with, which is why I didn't find it with a normal doc search.

You should really have this information published somewhere, since apparently it was even news to you.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Louisa,

It sounds like you found the file that is a temporary file created as a part of Storyline if a crash occurs and you've enabled the "auto recovery" feature. That is different than the back up that Leslie mentioned in regards to the backup created when upgrading a file that you previously had in Storyline 1/2 and have now opened in Storyline 360. 

As far as the .tmp file, you can rename it and change the file extension to .story and then it should be able to open as normal. 

LJ Beaupre

Yes, I've opened it just fine, and luckily it contains all the recent changes I needed (which tells you how often it crashes), however that also means that NO backup was created during the conversion process, as the popup message had indicated.

I have to say, I'm not very impressed my Storyline 360 experience so far, and will probably be looking elsewhere.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Louisa,

The auto recovery is going to create a back up every 10 minutes, and capture that in one file. If you're seeing multiple files that would indicate a series of crashes. In regards to not having the backups created that's not something I'd expect, nor would I want you to continue experiencing but to resolve it we'll need to work with you to get a bit more information. Are you able to connect with our Support Engineers at this case submission page and they'll be able to help pull that information? 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.