SL360 Drag and drops in Edge

Nov 07, 2017

Hi all, 

I have noticed a rise in issues with drag and drops in Edge recently using Storyline 360. 

It appears that drag items are simply not snapping drop zones when using shapes created in Storyline. (a square to be precise).

I have put a demo together for you to examine and test in Edge, i'd be interested to see if you experience the same problem.

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/7c47be2d-7b3d-42b6-a1f6-d445e1238c9e/review

As you'll see i've colour coded each test. Test 6, being the only example that doesn't include any in built shapes, appears to be the only test which is successful. 

I am using the latest version of Storyline 360 (v3.9.13567.0) and have been able to replicate this problem across many courses and on many machines. 

Please can you investigate this issue, as production efficiency is currently being affected by having to create everything as a graphic in a different tool before dropping them into storyline.

Thanks,
Alex

64 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Don,

Was the learner also using the Edge browser? Do you know if they were viewing the Flash or HTML5 output (an easy way to check on web published content is to look at the end of the URL for story_flash.html or story_html5.html). 

If you'd like to share a copy of your .story file, even just that one slide we can take a look as well in Edge and a few other browsers.

Don Smith

Well, it looks like it works for you, but in a Skype call, I was able to see that it did not work for my customer.  I tried it at home, and it worked on my personal laptop.

However, I tried it here in the office on a test machine, and it does not work.  Drag and Drop activities do not snap into place ever.  They just return to the starting point. Hover states do not display either. Maybe it has something to do with the enterprise version being used at the University, but it looks like it won't work on Edge as implemented here.

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Jennifer,

Sorry to hear that you've run into an issue with this as well, but it looks like we have not heard back from Don.

I did see a similar issue that was previously reported, so let me ask a couple of questions:

• Are you using Storyline 360?
  • Are you using the latest update to Edge and viewing the HTML5 output?

It's been hard for my team to reproduce as you can see from the correspondence above, but if you'd like to share a .story file I'd be happy to take a look and test on my end.

Don Smith

I think we've determined it must have something to do with some security settings in Edge defined by the IT group(s) who distribute the software to the University machines. Individuals within the organization are unable to make changes to the advanced settings. I've been told it will be a long process to figure out which setting is causing the issue. It clearly works for some people in their versions of Edge, just not anyone within the University.

Jennifer Shelden

Our IT manages our updates on a pretty firm and frequent basis, keeping up to date on most everything, so I'm pretty sure if we don't have the most recent version of Edge, it's intentional :(. Fingers crossed I get an update pushed to me in the near future, but if it's an Enterprise issue like Don's is, I don't foresee it getting fixed/getting a setting exception any time soon since our parent company is moving away from Articulate anyway. 

Jeremy Nash

I also confirmed that the linked shared in Alyssa's thread above did NOT work in the version of Edge that we're using.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/articulate-us/support-share/ELH/How+to+Submit+a+Foreign+National+Honorarium+20171110+-+Storyline+output/story_html5.html

Same behavior as stated by others as it just snaps back. We've also had our users state any drag and drop we've produced in Storyline 360 does not work in Edge.

Our version of Edge:
Microsoft Edge 38.14393.1066.0
Microsoft EdgeHTML 14.14393

Ours also is updated and managed pretty tightly.  Will there be a backwards compatible fix or do we need to avoid using Edge (pending future updates of course).

Thank you.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jeremy!

The content in that link was published with an older version of Storyline 360. Since then, we've released a fix for the issue where drag items don't drop correctly in Microsoft Edge when viewing the HTML5 output.

Are you on the latest update of Storyline 360? To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.12.14647.0 in the bottom-right corner. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.