Storyline 360 crashes when try to copy/paste

Sep 29, 2017

Every time I ctrl+d or copy and paste, Storyline 360 crashes. I've uninstalled/resinstalled to no effect.

Any ideas? Or does Storyline just not support this?

Thanks, Steve.

73 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Alain,

Thanks for sharing that video and the troubleshooting steps you took to try and fix the issue. Unfortunately, the video seems partly cut off, and I wasn't able to see what was happening.

No worries though, as I've opened a case on your behalf to connect you with a support engineer to provide some tailored help! Be on the lookout for a reply soon!

Jan DeShazo

I see that it is 3 years later and it is still not possible to copy and paste notes from one slide to another without Storyline crashing.  I've had to pull up Microsoft Word to copy and paste and it works fine.  However, it would be nice to not have to do this.  My template changes in areas where it isn't possible to just import the corrected slide.  Has any progress been made in this area in the past three years.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Jan!

Sorry, this is affecting your project! I can see how frustrating that would be.

It sounds like this is only happening when copying the notes from one slide to another. Does an error message appear after pasting the text in another notes field? Or does Storyline close without any error message?

It would be helpful also to know if this is happening in every project or just one. I want our Support Engineers to work with you 1:1 to understand what might be occurring behind the scenes. Please use this link to connect with a Support Engineer.

I'll look for the case and make sure to follow along to see what the fix is!

Ren Gomez

Hi Angela,

That doesn't sound right! I would first check to ensure your files are saved locally, as working from a network drive can cause issues such as lagging and corruption.

repair of Storyline may also get you moving in the right direction, but if none of these tips help, connect with a support engineer, and they'll lend you a hand!

Submit a case.
Joyce Maurin

Hi Angela,

Sometimes all I do is re-import my .story in a brand new .story and most of the times this fixes the issues. It's annoying and time-consuming but it "works" in the emergency.

And if this does not work, the support team behind the "submit a case" link will do everything they could to help you if you send them your project file.

Becca Levan

Hello JH. & Angela!

Thank you both for following up!

J H. - Can you share details of the steps you're taking before Storyline crashes:

• Do you notice it happens when you copy/paste specific items in the project, or does it happen with anything you copy/paste?
  • Is it just one specific project or multiple? Does importing into a new project or running a repair help?

Angela - I'm sorry this still plagues you. I've made a note in your support case for one of our support engineers to follow up and continue troubleshooting! Also, your signature came through when you replied by email. Here's how to remove that if needed!

Leslie McKerchie
Thanks for sharing some additional information regarding the issue you're seeing, J H. 

It sounds like you've narrowed it down, but I cannot replicate this behavior.

I'd like you to share your project file privately with our support engineers to investigate what's happening with your permission. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.
Andrea Koehntop

Hi folx! I have exciting news to share!

We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Build 3.62.27371.0, we've included the fix for the bug where Storyline will crash when pasting a text hyperlink that came From Microsoft Word.

You'll want to update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app to take advantage of the other fixes included in this update.

Please let us know if you have any questions by posting here, or in a support case.

Eric Santos

Hi Dylan,

So sorry you're experiencing this roadblock! I'm able to copy text from one Storyline 360 slide to another without issues.

I'm happy to help troubleshoot! We can start by checking if you're working on your local drive; working on a network drive can cause erratic behavior. If the problem still happens, try running these steps to repair Storyline and update it to the latest version.

We'd be glad to investigate further if the problem persists. You may share the affected Storyline project here or privately in a support case so our Support Engineers can take a look!

Submit a Support Case

Kelly Auner

Hi Brian,

Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue! I'm happy to help troubleshoot and have a few clarifying questions to start.

• Can you please provide some details on what you are copying and pasting when Storyline crashes?
  • Are you using the most up-to-date version of Storyline? Currently, we're on build 3.75.30269.0

I'd also like to check if you tried the troubleshooting steps Eric suggest above:

We can start by checking if you're working on your local drive; working on a network drive can cause erratic behavior. If the problem still happens, try running these steps to repair Storyline and update it to the latest version.

If you're still experiencing this issue, please let me so we can troubleshoot further. You can reach out here or privately in a support case. We'll delete it from our systems once troubleshooting is complete.

Eric Santos

Hi Sanju,

I'm sorry you've hit this snag when pasting slides or scenes to another Storyline project. I do not see this crashing error when I paste slides and scenes from Storyline 64-bit to 32-bit. Please check out this quick Peek recording of my tests.

Kindly test whether you see this behavior in a new Storyline project. If this only happens in a particular project, we'd be happy to run some tests for you to isolate the issue. Would you be willing to share your Storyline file here so we can look at it? You may also share it privately by sending it along in a support case. We'll delete it when we're done testing!