Storyline 360: Location of closed caption in the player

Mar 28, 2019

Is there a way to determine where on the screen the closed caption is displayed?  All I have been able to do is have it play on top of the video.  I would like it to show up below the video.  We do software training and it doesn't always work to have the closed caption within the screen since it could end up covering something important.

Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi everyone,

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 86, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

One of the new features we’ve included: 

• Position captions at the top or bottom of the slide to ensure closed caption visibility and prevent the obstruction of critical course content.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You’ll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

33 Replies
allen nation

Is there any update to this request. We have templates where we place the captions in a specific location. In Adobe Captivate it is extremely easy to place captions where ever you would like them. It is going to be hard to convince my team to switch over to Storyline, if extremely simple functionality is not included in Storyline 360.

Katie Riggio

Hello Allen,

Thanks for checking in. We're still actively tracking requests for more customization options with closed captions, such as placement. I'll share your insight with the team and relay any new developments!

There is a community JavaScript approach for implementing this, in the meantime! Check out Michael Bibby's tutorial on how to reposition closed captions in Storyline 360.

Mailbox UASsceurMb724

Good day
do you have any updates?

I tried to type the code/JavaScript from the video below (Storyline 360: Creating and Editing Closed Captions with Location of closed caption in the player - YouTube)

if (!window.movedCaptions){
var sheet = document.createElement('style');
sheet.innerHTML = ".caption{margin-bottom:190% !important} .caption
p {backround-color: rgba(0, 0, 0.6" !important}";
document.body.appendChild(sheet);
window.movedCaptions = true;

}

However, unfortunately it is not working, even if I am uploading the scorm in my LMS.
Any suggestions what can be done to have an opportunity to change the captions position on the slide?

Thanks

Anthony Whitehead

I'm responding to bring MORE attention. It's frustrating this recommendation has been out there for 4+ years and it has still not been acted on.  And this should be a priority, as this is a disability accessibility issue. This should be elevated over other "bells & whistles" functions development or improvements.

Please make this change soon. Failure to do so could encourage many learning designers to transition to Captivate so they can create the most accessible content for all abilities and disabilities. 

Kristina Mari

I want to echo what Anthony Whitehead stated above. This should not be regarded as an optional "feature." This is basic accessibility and has human rights implications for anyone using SL360 to offer courses/training. Not including viable/functional CC options is discriminatory. The issues raised regarding the legibility of the closed captioning and the option to have it outside of the player window is critical for it to be a useful feature.  Please attend to this SOON, Articulate 360!!!

Holly Groszko

I also have a need for this feature. We do software simulation training and many times we find that the caption box covers areas of the screen that the learner needs to be able to see.  Captivate allows for the caption box to be placed in many areas on the screen, and can be customized slide-by-slide. 

Michel Hobson

Also have a need for this feature.  Within training for "onboarding" or "process how-to" training, being able to move the CC box is more than a "nice to have".   Otherwise, you have to redesign a template or each course to account for the space that the Caption box occupies.   It is frustrating - especially with multiple courses.   For the learner who uses the CC (hint:  I am one of those people, even as an experienced ID due to long-term hearing loss.) - the ability to move that caption is sorely lacking.