Storyline 360 retry button issue

Jan 03, 2019

Hiya,

I've created an eLearning module (published HTML5) with a 10 question question bank, the user answers 5 randomly selected questions, and on the the result slide they have the option to retry the assessment. 

All works fine until you answer the last question on your retry where the page just dims out a little and three little circles load, but i have left this open for 20 minutes and nothing happened.

I didn't have this problem when testing the module with as i have the user complete all 10 questions, but now when getting them to complete it with 5 it's caused an issue.

I thought it might have been our LMS but the module is behaving the same way on Articulate review.

Any help would be great as this module should be launching next week. 

Thanks 

Helen (slightly frazzled eLearning designer)

14 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Helen! So glad you reached out to us about this. We're seeing an issue in Storyline 360 Update 23 where the course will freeze when retrying questions in a question bank. We've seen this only happen in Google Chrome, but not in any other browser. Does that match what you're seeing?

If so, you can work around this bug by temporarily rolling back to Update 22. Here's how. 

Then, as soon as we get this bug resolved, we'll let you know! 

Helen Gilbert

Yeah it's just in google, but unfortunately our business uses multiple browsers (a right pain). 

That's fine I've contacted my IT department to revert the old software. Do we know when this error will be resolved in the new version, as i was keen to also try the new features in the update.

Thanks

Helen  

Katie Riggio

Hello, folks!

Remember when a course could freeze or lock up when retrying a quiz from a question bank? Specifically, when viewing the content on Chrome?

Well, that issue is now fixed in Update 25 for Storyline 360. Check out what's inside here, and here's how you can update Storyline 360 to see those goodies! 🎁

Let us know what you think!

Paul Bailey

(I am not sure if what I am seeing is the same issue. I think it is. I attached an image of what I have seen when retrying a quiz.  This happend to me before the first question of the retry was displayed. The original post referenced that it happend to them at the end of the retry. Further, the icon I see when I was able to duplicate the problem seems different than described above.)

If I understand this right. This wil impact SOME users in Chrome if the module was published using Storyline 360 version 23 (Dec 27, 2018) or version 24 (Jan 22, 2019) and was solved with version 25 (Feb 19, 2019).  

So, any of our modules published with what was the current version of Storyline 360 (which is our standard) between Dec 27, 2018 and Feb 19, 2019  would be subject to this issue.  Correct?

This window of time impacts our change to a new LMS which had us republishing hundreds of modules. I have some questions.

Is there anything known about the version(s) of Chrome that had issues? 

Is there anything that the user can do to their Chrome browser to resolve?

If the module has issues, does it have issues for everyone using Chrome?  Or is it just some people using chrome have issues with some modules?

Our new LMS went LIVE 2 days ago and we are now getting reports of this issue. What would you advise we communicate to the end user until we can republish everything?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Paul!

Thanks for reaching out, and I'm sorry some of your learners are getting stuck. Here's a quick summary of the bug referenced earlier in this discussion:

• Happens in Storyline 360 Update 23 and 24. This would affect courses published between 12/18/18 and 2/19/19.
  • Quiz questions are in a question bank.
  • Quiz freezes on last slide when user is retrying the quiz after failing once and using Chrome.

Now, let's tackle your specific questions: 

• Is there anything known about the version(s) of Chrome that had issues? We noted that this happened in Chrome version 71, which was the latest version of Chrome at the time.
  • Is there anything that the user can do to their Chrome browser to resolve? No, but the learner can switch to a different browser like Firefox, Safari, Edge, or Internet Explorer.
  • If the module has issues, does it have issues for everyone using Chrome?  Or is it just some people using Chrome have issues with some modules? I would assume that everyone using Chrome would experience the same issue.

Finally, let's cover next steps. First, we want to be sure that republishing your files will actually fix the problem, and we'll want to verify that the issue you're seeing is related to the bug we fixed. 

If you don't mind sharing one of your quiz files, we'd be happy to test it in various updates of Storyline 360. If that works for you, you can send your file to our team privately by clicking here.

In the meantime, if an end user gets stuck in the quiz, please advise them to switch to Firefox, Safari, Edge, or Internet Explorer, and continue the course from there. 

Paul Bailey

I was just able to recreate the issue as described above. 

NOTE: I was also able to duplicate the issue in Firefox 66.0.2

I may have remembered wrong when testing this am thinking it was first slide but this time I am confient it was not the first slide. 

I will reach out to stakeholders to see how they want to push forward. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Paul,

It sounds like you may be running into a different issue since you're able to duplicate the issue in Firefox as well.

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Katie Riggio

Hi there, George!

Thanks for reaching out, and I'm sorry to hear this is happening on the latest update. Let's dig in:

• What browser(s) are you using to view the published LMS output?
  • Could you share the source file? We can troubleshoot the retry button in SCORM Cloud, an industry-standard testing tool, and report back. If that sounds like a plan, connect with us through this private link.