Storyline corrupted files?

Apr 30, 2013


Yesterday I encountered something weird.  Every time I tried to use Storyline it kept shutting down on me and not saving any of the changes I was trying to make to the module. I abandoned my efforts after about 3 hours and thought it might be on Storyline end of things.  Today when I opened up the module to continue working on it, I find that every single one of my images in the both the master file and on each of the 75 screens are now gone.  No where to be found.  I can "see" them on the thumbnails view, but when I actually click on the slides to view and work on the slide, no images.  It won't even let me add any images back into the module.  

Has anyone encountered this?  Do I have a corrupted file?  Any way to salvage this module? 

I have an un-corrupted version published version out on Articulate online, but that doesn't help me with my "working version". 

Thanks for any insights, suggestions, and help!


36 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Importing slides into the project is always a good idea in terms of helping resolve any odd behavior or issues. You'll want to ensure that you're following the steps documented here for importing and then ensuring that you're working on local project files and adhering to the other guidelines here to prevent odd behavior. 

Matthew Airey

Hi There,

I know this is an old post but every time I publish my simulations they just don't seem to play all the way through. I don't know whether the file is corrupt as the older version plays fine. It is a very big file size (300MB) but I don't think that should affect things. I think one of the screencasts are corrupt from fine tuning things. 

Have you ever come across this error?

I am publishing this in SL3. 

Matthew Airey

Hi Leslie,

Yes it is just an error when playing back the published file. However, it works when I publish it via swf. But when I try playing it via HTML it just crashes and in some cases just shuts down like it's being rejected by the browser.

I am thinking that one of the screencasts must be corrupt as I have been fine tuning some of the videos but I have never come across this error before.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jorge,

I'm sure you don't want to lose lots of hard work on your module, and I hate that you ran into that error.  You might want to try opening a new project and importing the slides from that file into the new project.

If that fails, there may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check:

  1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.
File corruption is unpredictable, and there's no straightforward way to determine what causes it. Check out the steps in this article to protect your project files and ensure this doesn't happen again!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.