Storyline V 2 - SCORM issue using Chrome V56.0.2924.87 on Android

Feb 23, 2017

Hi,

I'm having difficulty viewing certain SCORM modules that contain MP4s when viewing using Chrome V56.0.2924.87 on Samsung Galaxy S5, Android version 6.0.1

When I first experienced an issue using Chrome V56 the SCORM module was published with Storyline 2, update 9.  I noticed there was an update 11, so I installed this version of storyline, republished and there's still an issue.

To help describe the issue I'll first describe the module.  The intro slide goes through some quick animations, it then automatically progresses to the next slide which contains an MP4 which is set to auto play.  When it finishes playing it automatically progresses to the next slide, etc.  The issue I'm having is, when the MP4 slide appears, the video appears, the seekbar progresses, but the video does not play and the audio does not play.  I found though that if I press the rewind button on the right of the seekbar, the video and the audio will then play.

This issue doesn't exist when I view the same module using Chrome V55.0.2883.91 on a Samsung S5, Android version 6.0.1

I uploaded the module to the SCORM cloud and the same issue occurs when viewing using Chrome V56.

I then tried SCORM Cloud using Chrome V55 and the module plays with no issue.

I also tried publishing the module using a trial version of Storyline 360 but I have to say this is worse.  Not only does the same issue happen, I can't 'rewind' the MP4 as a workaround because the seekbar doesn't have a rewind button.

Oh, and I've only tested using WiFi. I've not tested using Mobile Data. About 12 months ago I had a similar issue when using an earlier version of Chrome but just on mobile data, not WiFi. I believe this was resolved in a Storyline update.

I absolutely love Storyline but I have to say that I'm being worn down by the issues that pop up following  Chrome updates.  We have several hundred staff that rely on their work Samsung for access to education , so 'workarounds' just aren't manageable.

If there's anything further you would like me to test or try, I'm very happy to.

Please advise.

Michelle

38 Replies
Crystal Horn

Thanks for chiming in, Dominic.  We are having a look now at files with videos hosted in SCORM Cloud on Android devices.  The latest version of Chrome is the only supported browser for viewing Storyline 2 content on Android devices.  I'll update this discussion with our findings!

In the meantime, do you have your video set to play in the slide?  Is it set to play automatically?  What happens when you refresh your browser or revisit the slide?  Thanks for the information!

Dominic Calderon

Hey Crystal, sorry I should have specified that I published the course in Storyline 360. My video is set to play automatically and it works fine on iOS. I have tested 2 modules with mp4s and both act the same way. I first thought maybe it was our LMS that was having issues with android but I tested it in SCORM Cloud and had the same result. Refreshing or revisiting gives the same behavior. Hope the information helps look into this issue. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Crystal Horn

Thanks, Michelle and Dominic!  I was also able to reproduce with SCORM Cloud, so we'll be discussing this behavior with the team and see if we can identify some next steps.  To recap, it looks like that Chrome version 56 on Android devices is not handling video content.

Thanks to both of you for contributing your experience.  We'll be sure to provide updates in this discussion as we can.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sébastien,

I'll update the team and let them know you're seeing the same issue in the latest update of Chrome 57 as well. 

Depending on priority and risk, some bugs can be fixed quickly, while others take longer to resolve. Here's more information on how we identify and tackle bugs.

I’ll let you know as soon as we have an update on this issue. Thanks so much again for letting us know about this, and I’m sorry if it’s slowing you down.

Mary Channon

I do not have video issues, just audio issues, as in the audio is not playing.  All the slide animations work, timeline etc, but no sound.  So basically I can view the whole course, but can't hear anything.  I have tested on 2 different android devices, both have had the system update as well as up to date with chrome.  Just wanted to add this to this thread to let you know it is not just the videos, but the audio files as well.  In our file, they are .wav files.

Hi Jo,

We're still investigating this issue in Chrome and in our initial reports and testing it was Chrome browsers on mobile and desktop.

Are you only experiencing issues in Chrome on your Android device? What is the Android OS version you're using?  

I'd love to take a look at your course (either the Presenter package or a link to the published output) so that we could see how it behaves on our end. 

Hi Jo! 

Thanks for sharing your file. I uploaded it here to SCORM Cloud to test it out. I had two colleagues with Android devices test it out - and they shared that using a step of Pause -> pinch to zoom -> play allowed the audio to play normally on their devices. One of them just was able to do pause -> play. 

Can you give that a try on your course and my copy and see if that works for you too? 

Joanna Hall

Thanks Ashley.  I can launch and start the module, however the audio will not start unless I pause and then press play.  We have never had this issue in the past on our Samsung devices, but I have been given to understand that it's additional security added in a recent samsung update.  Is there a plan to compensate for this in a future update to Studio13?  Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks again

Richard Lander

Hello, I was wondering if there has been any progress on this issue as we are having the same problems, namely that in Chrome on an Android phone the activity (uploaded to an LMS as a Scorm package 2004) freezes when an audio file (mp3) is supposed to launch.

The activity works correctly on a laptop and iPad. In Scorm Cloud it also works on a laptop, but exhibits exactly the same problem when viewed on the Android phone.

When published in html5 the same thing happens: no problem on the laptop, but freezes when the audio file is supposed to launch.

We are using Storyline 2 and have updated to the most recent version before publishing.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer any insights or help.

Hi Richard, 

Thanks for checking in. This issue is still open with my team for Storyline 2 and Chrome on Android devices. Do you know if you're using the latest update of Chrome as well? I know on the desktop that's ver. 64 but I'm not sure about a mobile device. 

As Jo mentioned earlier it seemed to be connected to an Android update. With this in mind, our team continues to keep an eye on it to evaluate how many customers are impacted and what impact it has on courses. The number of customers and depth of impact are two of the elements that help us prioritize bugs and fixes. 

Here's some more detail about how we tackle bugs. I'm really sorry that I can't say if this issue will be fixed but you're in the right place to stay updated on this bug's progress. 

Richard Lander

Hi Ashley, Thank you for your quick reply. As this is very important for us I've just opened a new discussion on the same subject in case this discussion was not active, so apologies for my impatience. I'll try and delete it and there's no need to reply there as well.

I would imagine that a lot of developers want to make their courses available on Android. I thought this had been fixed in the most recent updates, but it seems the problem persists.

I'm pretty sure that Chrome updates automatically on the phones we've used to test this, but I'll check. I hope that a solution can be found for this and will keep an eye on this discussion for further information. 

Crystal Horn

Hi Richard.  I can appreciate the context of what you shared here so far.  Don't worry about the second discussion - we link them when we find them!

I don't see any known issues with audio playing on Android devices for Storyline 3 or Storyline 360 at this point.

You mentioned that you were on the latest version of Storyline 2.  Can you just confirm that it is update 12?  You can double check by going to Help > About Storyline.  We included a fix in update 12 that addressed an issue of audio not automatically playing in Android devices using Chrome v57 and later.

Also, if you can share your project file with us, either here as an attachment in the discussion or privately, we'll test it against other behavior we have documented.  Thanks for working through it with us!

Richard Lander

Hi Crystal, Thanks for getting in touch. Yes, it's definitely Update 12,
which is why we hoped it would solve the problem. I imagine that as
platforms and devices and browsers are updated it's a challenge to keep
Storyline working across a range of options.

We'll send the file tomorrow and will trial Articulate 3 soon to see if
that is a solution.

Thanks again for a quick reply.

Richard Lander

This is the file. It's a sequence of "dummy" activities as a test, not a polished course. The problem is on the first slide which has a short audio response (mp3) when the learner clicks the correct answer. As mentioned above, it works fine on laptop and iPad but freezes on an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy A5) in Chrome and Firefox, both as a Scorm package (tested on an LMS and Scorm Cloud) and when published as HTML5. 

Thanks Richard for sharing that course. I published it with Storyline 2 and Storyline 3 to have a few examples to test and uploaded them both to SCORM Cloud. Here are my links if you'd like to take a look:

I had a colleague test these out on Android (I'm all Mac/iOS!) and he shared that the Storyline 2 version froze as you saw, but that Storyline 3 played back normally. Do you want to give those a try and let me know how it works for you? 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.