Theme Colors

Apr 04, 2023

Hi heroes! I am trying to figure out how custom theme colors work and what I'm reading is not lining up with what I'm seeing in practice. Based on the user guide and this job aid I THINK the text/background - dark 1 color should be the default text color for light slides and shapes. Additionally it should be an option as a (dark) background color in the Design tab. Same but in reverse for light color 1. Dark and Light 2 should both be available in the Design tab as background styles.

I'm running into a few issues where this isn't the case. First, when adding a light color shape (from the accent colors) the default text is light instead of dark. Second, I don't see anything but the first light color as a background option in the design tab. I've included a recording to demonstrate what I'm experiencing.

Can someone clarify where I'm going wrong on this? Or what I'm misunderstanding from the descriptions. Thanks in advance!

Jackie

4 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi Jackie!

It sounds like you're having an issue where the Dark 1 color is not the default text color for light slides and shapes. I'd be happy to help!

Also, thank you for the Peek! That made troubleshooting much easier!

I followed the steps in your screen recording and while testing this out on my end I was unable to reproduce the behavior. When I inserted a lightly colored shape and added text, the default text color was dark and contrasted against the lighter background perfectly.

I also recorded this Peek to show you my process.

Could you share which version of Storyline 360 you are currently using? Just yesterday we released version 3.74.30180.0. With this release, we saw a fix for the bug that was causing shapes to not always inherit the new theme color choice.

If you haven't yet done so, we'd recommend updating your Storyline 360 desktop app and testing this out again!

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Jackie Matuza

Hi Steven, Thanks for responding with the Peek recording! Perhaps I don't understand how Storyline decides if a shape color is light/dark? In your recording the light lavender mostly had text options in white (except for the center option) which is basically what I'm seeing. I updated yesterday so I'm on 3.74.30180.0. For good measure I tried again with a new file and a new custom color Theme. This time I only updated the L1/D1/L2/D2 colors and named the them "Broken Custom". I've attached a the .story file as well as a screenshot showing the light colored text on the light green shape - which is similar to your lavender example. Would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Steven Benassi

Hi Jackie!

Thank you for the feedback and for sharing your file! I'd be happy to continue troubleshooting this with you!

Working with the file you provided, I created a new theme color but this time I only changed the default colors for Light 1/Dark 1. I switched them to White and Black respectively. However, this would also change the entire background theme color of your slide to White. I noticed in your file you had it set to Grey. If you need to retain the Grey color as your background theme, one option would be to set your Slide Master background to Grey.

I've recorded a Peek to show you the process and my results.

Please let me know if this works for you, or if you have any more questions!