Why are there swf files in my Storyline 360 HTML5 only output?

Apr 09, 2018

This has been driving me insane all afternoon - any thoughts would be appreciated. Using Storyline 360 and publishing as HTML5 only there are still swf files in my published output - does anyone know why? I've tried multiple times but they are always there and mean that I cannot upload to my LMS without making manual edits to the published output. 

Thanks

74 Replies
Steve Galway

I'd suggest deleting 1 slide at a time and then publishing in HTML5 only. That way, although possibly a bit time consuming, you should be able to isolate the element(s) that are causing the issue. That was my approach to working out the issue I was facing. Without isolating the problem slides it would have been impossible out work out the problem. 

Luke Hamilton

I see this same issue in all courses my team is publishing to HTML5 only lately.  We see a .swf file published to the story_content folder for every video we have in the course.  The video publishes as a .mp4, but it publishes a .swf file that you cannot preview and appears to be nothing.  I've logged a ticket, and hopefully, there is a solution to this issue.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Steve.  I checked on your case, and I see that Ryan sent you an initial response confirming the bug where a zoom region produces a .swf file in your HTML5 output.  We've documented it for our team, but I don't have an update yet.

Since it's attached to this discussion as well, we'll post an update here and to your email if we get one.  Thanks!

Crystal Horn

Hey there, Steve.  I can imagine it's pretty frustrating to have to manually delete the .swf files from your output since your LMS won't allow you to upload the content with any Flash content.

We still have this issue on our radar, and we continue to track the impact it's having on folks.  I'll make sure we update this discussion as soon as we can with any changes.

Tara Botelho

I am having a similar but tricky problem. I just had my laptop re-imaged and using Windows 10, my Storyline is up to date. I am having the same publishing issue with HTML 5 only also outputting swf files. I have a file that does not have zoom or videos. My colleague published using the same file and has no swf files at all when he publishes. Only when I publish. I've been deleting the files from story_content and also manipulating the imsmanifest file too. Can anyone please provide any recent insight?  Thank you. Tara

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tara,

It's definitely strange that you and your colleague are publishing the same file with differing results. Are you both on Windows 10 and using Storyline 360, build 3.23.17480.0

The issue with zoom regions is still open with our team, and we have a similar issue when using a logo in the course player. Does that match what you and your colleague are doing? 

Please let me know if that sheds some light on the issue! 

Kimberly Valliere

I'm running into a similar issue, but with SL3. I have a course that I've published a few times already. The course has embedded videos using iFrame, but no zoom regions. I didn't have a problem initially uploading the course to our LMS, which doesn't allow .swf files at all. I made changes today and published again, but I'm now getting .swf files in the output. I looked in the previous versions of the zipped output and there are no .swf files. The publish settings still say HTML5 Only.

Hi Tara,

Great - I opened a Support case on your behalf. You'll see an email confirmation shortly which includes a link to upload your file(s) for our team to test and troubleshoot. If you can share a copy of your .story file and the zip of your published output that will be helpful for them.

They'll delete your files when done troubleshooting. 

Hi Steve,

I'm truly sorry for the delay on a fix here, but it's a part of our larger efforts to remove Flash entirely from the authoring and publishing knowing that more and more folks are moving away from it as Adobe ends support. 

Andy, 

We have that issue filed and our team is working on it for Engage interactions and logos. We'll keep you posted here!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.