Why are there swf files in my Storyline 360 HTML5 only output?

Apr 09, 2018

This has been driving me insane all afternoon - any thoughts would be appreciated. Using Storyline 360 and publishing as HTML5 only there are still swf files in my published output - does anyone know why? I've tried multiple times but they are always there and mean that I cannot upload to my LMS without making manual edits to the published output. 

Thanks

74 Replies
Mary McGivern

Hi All, I am having the same issue. Storyline 360 publishes a shape.swf for every .mp4 that is in the course. I also lists said .swf in the manifest. I have to delete the reference from the manifest and the files from the published content.

While this is something I am able to do, it is not realistic to expect every Instructional Designer to know how to go about doing this.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Mary, 

How were the MP4s added to your Storyline file? A Zoom region or a logo added to the course are the two issues we've seen where the SWF files remain, and our team are looking into in. In both of those instances, removing the file from the published output still allows the course to playback normally. 

If you're able to share a copy of the MP4 or the .story file with our Support Team we'd be happy to take a look! 

Katie Riggio

Hi, Mary. Appreciate your update!

It looks like you may have replied by email where your contact information came through to the public forum. Feel free to edit your reply here

In the meantime, I've opened a case for you with our Support team so we can have a closer look at those slides. You'll get a confirmation email from support@articulate.com with a private upload link, but you're welcome to share the Box information there as well. Talk soon!

Leslie Peters

I am having this same issue when I insert a Video from Website onto a page using a Vimeo Embed code. Every time it creates 1-2 .swf files even when publishing with the Modern Player, HTML5 only. 

I have a huge library of courses going up that all have video streaming from Vimeo. The LMS my client has paid a lot for does not accept Flash. Further, all videos in a Scorm package have to be from web embed codes, they cannot be .mp4s that are embedded on the page or the videos will not play from their mobile app. 

After reading this thread I tried to manually remove the .swf files and re-zip and upload. The file wasn't accepted.

This is a big issue. When will it be solved? HTML5 only should mean just that.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Leslie,

We saw this issue with videos (including embedded videos) in Storyline 360, but it was fixed up earlier this year. We're still seeing an SWF file appear in the output if you're using a Zoom region or have added a PNG or GIF file as a part of your logo. The team is still digging into those two issues, but in most instances, we've seen that removing the SWF from the published output folder allows the course to successfully playback in a web server or LMS.

If you're still running into this issue using the latest Storyline 360 Update (Storyline 360, build 3.28.18944.0) and embedding videos, can you share a copy of that file with our Support Team?

Let me know if you have any questions!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Steve,

We just released another update for Articulate 360, and included a few important fixes that you'll see in the release notes here

The issue you were running into with an SWF file created even when publishing for HTML5 only when there is a "Zoom Region" on a slide has been corrected as well.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Jennifer. Happy to help investigate!

Do you have a logo included in the player? If that matches your setup, we're still investigating the issue where adding a .PNG or .GIF file as a logo causes Storyline to generate .SWF files when publishing using the HTML5 only option. 

If that's not quite right, would you mind sharing the .story file so I can take a closer look at what's happening? You can send it to me privately by using this upload link. I'll let you know what I find, and will delete it when we solve this puzzle!

Katie Riggio

Thanks for this additional context, Jennifer!

While I'm glad to hear you're up and running, I'd still love to dig deeper. Can I confirm whether you're Storyline 360 or Storyline 3?

• If Storyline 360: We released Update 29 which holds a fix for the issue where SWF files would get created when publishing for HTML5-only when there is a Zoom Region on a slide.
  • If Storyline 3: This isn't fixed in Storyline 3 just yet, but I promise we'll share all updates here once we have them and update our Storyline 3 Version History page. 
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Anuj,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you may be running into a different issue and we'd certainly want to take a look.

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Thomas Halbritter

Hello,

I have the same problem and I'm very unhappy. I can't upload a course into cornerstone. Our entire Learning & Development department is standing still. We need to be able to embed logos and videos. It's unacceptable that we should manually search and delete swf files. There is already a case 01885215.

Steve‘s blog contribution was over a year ago. It's very disappointing that you still haven't solved the problem.

Please understand that I expect a quick bug fx from you.

Ren Gomez

Hi everyone,

Great news! We just released another update for Articulate 360 and included a few important fixes and new features that you'll see in the release notes here.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where HTML5-only courses with logos sometimes had unnecessary SWF (Flash) files in the published output.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

If you’re still seeing this issue, or if you have any questions, reach out here or contact our support engineers directly.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.