Difference btwn SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 2004?

Oct 26, 2023

Hello dear friends. I am wondering about the difference btwn SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 2004? If you have any ideas / answers, kindly share and let's discuss here about it. Likwise I will convert my Storyline file to that version of SCORM.

7 Replies
Richard Watson

Kaushik,

A great reference for SCORM is scorm.com

https://scorm.com/scorm-explained/business-of-scorm/scorm-versions/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=natural_search

Also, remember that when you compare SCORM 1.2 with SCORM 2004, SCORM 2004 has four editions.  For example, SCORM 2004 3rd edition is the most widely used.

As Math stated, the version of SCORM you use will impact what you can track in your LMS reports and suspend data. Suspend data tells your LMS where the learner exits the courses and lets you resume later without starting over.

Also, the version of SCORM you publish determines what the LMS can track. SCORM 2004 has a more robust reporting model. For example, it can report individual question responses, allow multiple scores associated with a single SCO, etc. 

SCORM 1.2 has more limited reporting data. For example, courses published to SCORM 1.2 can track completion status (complete/incomplete) and the score. 

==========

Different SCORM versions have different lengths of suspend data. SCORM 1.2 is 4,096; SCORM 2004, 3rd edition, allows up to 64,000 characters. 

Why suspend data matters? Have you taken a course in which you had to exit before you finished? When you returned to resume the course, did you resume at an earlier slide/location? If this happens, it's most likely related to the suspend data package size. 

Storyline: Exceeding SCORM Suspend Data Limits - Articulate Support

SumTotal's website states it supports the following: of course, what your LMS is set up for would require you to log in and check.

SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, AICC, xAPI, CMI5

Hope this helps you.