Real Problems with Slide Numbering

Apr 07, 2020


I'm having ongoing trouble with getting my story project numbered. I've been working on and off over the past 7 days with Support, without resolution.

They are so nice, and generally respond within 24 hours, but their solutions don't really solve my problem.

I have a story project that resists any of my attempts to set up a slide number within total project slides variable. I've read all the tutorials, and I've set and reset my master slides and layouts. 

My project is way overdue, and I'm about to pull my hair out.

Is there anyone out there willing to help? 

10 Replies
Shari Pobjecky

Hi Phil and thanks for replying. 

I'm trying to use a slide numbering scheme that includes a variable on the slide master layouts.

I use the same variable for each layout, but I will say that my project modules are not divided into individual scenes :

I have a short Introduction Scene to a Main Menu which then clicks to branch to additional modules that are all part of one scene. One of those modules has a click to branch.

I can't even get the number of the first five slides - the introduction before the click to branch to work The numbering works fine until I get to slide 3, which is somehow now mysteriously "slide 35." I've checked all the triggers and variables on that slide and its layouts, and can't find the error. I"m sure it's a trigger of some kind.

On slide 4, the numbering continues along just fine until I get to the main menu which has a click to branch. 


Shari Pobjecky

I'm sharing the project here.

I've tried settings for both project order and menu order. 

I've started the work to split the modules out into individual scenes, but wanted to make one last ditch effort to fix the bugs without doing that. I'm willing to simply hand number the individual slides. Maybe that's the best workaround.


Allison LaMotte

Hi Shari,

I'm sorry you're having a hard time getting your slide numbers working. I opened your file and I think I may have figured out why this is happening. It looks like the third slide in your file is actually slide 1.35 (see screenshot), that's why it's showing up as slide 35 when you choose the "project order" numbering—because technically, it is slide 35.

To make your project easier to work with, I decided to create a separate scene for the first few. I don't think that I did anything to mess with your branching, but you may want to give it a quick preview just to make sure.

The third slide in your project is now showing up as 1.3 instead of 1.35, so the numbering should work correctly (though I'm not seeing a slide number on that slide).

I've attached my version of your file. Let me know if it's working as expected now. If not, please let me know what issues you're seeing and I'll see what I can do to help.

Shari Pobjecky

So helpful, Allison. I believe that you are correct.

Here are my follow-on questions:

1. Is there anyway to change the number of the slide without separating it out into a new scene? I've been trying to figure that out, and couldn't find a way.

2. Can you have a look at the Final Exam scene, and tell me why the each quiz item isn't clickable? I've been working with Support, and they tell me that I have an excess trigger in each slide to 

“Submit results 2.2 Results Slide when user clicks Submit.”

Do you think this is what is causing the Q questions not to have a submit button and the radio buttons not clickable?


Kristin Hatcher

I have struggled with the slide numbering problem, and found one solution. In story view, move the slides where you want them to be. If they are where you want them to be, move the offending slide somewhere (anywhere) and then back to the appropriate place. 

For whatever reason this seems to help jog Storyline into appropriately changing slide numbers. Remember, you must be in Story View (that first tab) rather than looking at individual slides. 

Also if you're using a built-in player, go to the Player and then to the Menu button. Toward the bottom of that Menu window is a button to "Reset from Story," which may also help (but it may not be necessary.

I find this numbering issue trips me up when I move slides around in Slide View rather than story view. Not sure why they won't renumber properly when moved in Slide View, but at least we have a workaround. 

Allison LaMotte

Hi Shari,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. The slide numbering should change automatically when you drag a slide to a new spot in your Storyline project. It seems like that didn't happen for some reason in your file, which is why the number was off. When I tried simply dragging it to a new spot, the number did change, but it seemed to mess up the branching and I couldn't figure out what was going on there, so I decided that the easiest thing to do would be to create a new scene.

I think that in general, when you're doing this kind of complex branching, it would be better if each "branch" was in its own scene. It makes the project a lot easier to work with. For example, it allows you to minimize certain scenes, so you can focus on the one you're currently editing.

2. I had a look, and I do see the extra trigger our support team is talking about, however it seems like deleting it doesn't fix the issue. I took a closer look at your slides, and I noticed that instead of not using the default correct/incorrect feedback layers, you've turned off question-by-question feedback and added your own layers. I'm wondering if that may not be why you're having issues here, but I'm not sure. In any case, I think I found a solution. I recorded a short screencast that walks you how to fix it. I've also attached the updated version of your file, where I've fixed the first 4 questions.

Let me know if you run into any other issues.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.