Forum Discussion

Danielle-Riggi
Community Member
2 days ago

Closed captions in an MP4 not showing up for customer

Good morning. I have a client that requested an MP4 output. When I publish the course to video, I can see the closed captions, however my client can not. Is there something additional I need to do to have them see the cc text? I feel like I'm missing a step or something. They said they've always been able to get cc text in videos from other vendors. Thank you. 

• Hi Danielle-Riggi!

Sorry to hear your client is having trouble accessing closed captions from a video-published course!

Can you clarify if they are experiencing this issue across all media players, or is the behavior local to one? A helpful first step is confirming they are using a media player that supports closed captions. Most media players should automatically recognize caption files stored in the published output. However, some may require the user to manually select the .vtt file, and activate it from within the player. If those settings are enabled, but they're still having trouble, do you mind sharing the .story file so we can test this further on our end?

Feel free to attach a copy here in the discussion or privately through a support case.

Danielle-Riggi
      Community Member

They are asking if I can "embed" the vtt file.  I have never had to do that before and am not even sure that can be done. I know I had to upgrade my media player to see the cc text. Was just hoping the would be able to play it without having to do any added work on their end. 

StevenBenassi
        Staff

Hi Danielle-Riggi!

Thanks for following up!

With Storyline, the captions automatically get included in the published output. The only added step they may need to perform is manually switching the captions on in the media player controls. I published a sample Storyline 360 course to Video, and opened it with Windows Media Player. From there, all I had to do was select the .VTT file under the Language and Subtitles menu.

If your client is using an updated media player that supports closed captions and still running into trouble, seeing a screen recording of their steps can help us troubleshoot this better. If they prefer you share that privately, please do so through a support case.