Forum Discussion

MikeLesewski-ab
Community Member
6 years ago

Closed Captions in Exported Video File

Hi there, 

I am trying to test if I import an MP4 video file and add closed captioning in the Storyline 360, when I publish it as a video my closed captions are not displaying. I can see them in the preview but when published as a video they disappear. Please help :) 

• Hi, everyone!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 73, we’ve included important fixes and new features!

One new feature we’ve included:

Boost video accessibility by including closed captions when publishing projects as MP4 video files.

To take advantage of this update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

• Thanks for following up on this feature!

Here's our current feature roadmap. This is what we are currently prioritizing in upcoming releases. A feature for including closed captions when exported a video file isn't on our immediate roadmap yet. You can see our process for managing feature requests here. When we have an update on this feature, we'll follow up in this discussion! 

• I need captions when publishing to an .mp4.  This request has been open for a year.  Any updates on when it might actually happen?  We do not use YouTube, but rather an internal Knowledge Management system.

I am reduced to recording a video on my screen if I want the captions to show...not very professional.

Thanks,

Wendy Myers
    Albertsons Companies

• This feature has been requested for more than two years without any current comment from the Articulate folks.

Any chance you could tell us if we can expect CC with video any time soon?  Or do we need to find alternate solutions?

KarenCote
    Community Member

I created my video captions in Storyline, then added the trigger Adjust variable, Set Player.DisplayCaptions (*from list of Built In variable) to value True, When the timeline starts on, this slide. My captions now show up!

KimHuestis
      Community Member

I've been doing that for my elearnings... having the closed captioning come on automatically. I didn't realize that this would work for the video output though... fingers crossed!

Kim
      289-776-8455

• Hi Emily,

Welcome to the E-Learning Heroes community! I understand you'd like the option to include closed captions when publishing to  MP4. We don't currently have an update on this feature, but will continue to track this request. Please feel free to review how we manage these feature requests and our feature roadmap to see what we are working on!

JohnIngmanJr
    Community Member

I am also looking for closed captions in an mp4 format.  It would be a great service if this was available.

• We really could use this feature- I have to bring them into YouTube and if they're big videos it's a very time-consuming process! 

• What is the solution to this?  I did the same as the poster I imported an mp4 I had, I also then imported my captions (a .srt file).  I see my captions in preview, I see them in Review 360.

If I publish as a "video" they are a separate file - but I haven't gotten to work with our LMS (Capstone/Saba)...maybe it is my user error.

If I publish as a scorm there are no captions (the cc button on the player is enabled).

What am I missing?

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hello Rachel, 

Happy to help!

When you upload your video file to your LMS, do you include the accompanying captions file with it? Also, does your LMS support adding video files with their own separate captions file? If you're unsure, you'll need to check with your LMS support team to see if this is a supported feature.

As for your course that was published for LMS distribution, I'd like to ask a few questions to help clarify the experience: 

If you are able to replicate the behavior in SCORM Cloud, would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing!