Forum Discussion

chrisridley
Community Member
7 years ago

Rise blank screen issue

Hi All,
I have a client who is having an issue when re-visiting a Rise course. It works perfectly and as expected when testing in SCORM cloud.

Oddly the course launches fine but on re-visit they just get a blank screen.

One of the difficulties is that I don’t have any access to the system to see what is happening in real time to further debug.

My only real course of action was to get a bit more system specific details to see if anything here would be an issue, they have come back with the following:

LMS: Kallidus Version 10.1.12
Tested on desktop PC running Windows 7
Browser: IE 11
Pop-Up Blocker: Off

Version of JavaScript: Version 8

This all looks fine and in line with the Rise browser compatibility specs.

Since this runs all fine in SCORM cloud I’m at a bit of a loss as to what the issue could be. Has anyone had any similar issues and any resolutions? Or areas for the client to look into further their side of things?

Thanks

LeonieLawson
    Community Member

I'd just like to add our vote for Articulate to prioritise this to find a permanent fix within the drivers. 

I see that there is a recent update where you can 'reset learner progress' when republishing in the export settings. The info on the Articulate website states:

Note: If you delete a lesson in your course, then update the course in your LMS, some learners might see a blank page. If this happens, select More settings and click the Reset Learner Progress option when you export your course. Then, when learners launch the newly updated course in your LMS, their progress will be reset. Their quiz data will be retained.

This isn't a brilliant fix as completion progress is lost, but at least they can access the lesson. 
    DavidLennon
    Community Member

I'm currently experiencing this exact problem, I have a rise module that I have updated, loaded back on to the LMS and users who have never completed the module before now get a grey screen. I can't replicate the problem, I've tried on multiple devices and browsers and it works every time for me. I have about 4000 people that have done the module and it worked fine, until I uploaded a new version with some edits, nothing else changed with it. 

This is getting very frustrating in trying to manage and solve a problem that shouldn't be a problem.

Are there any other solutions for this, I am working remotely and my users are spread across europe so supporting them is getting quite difficult.

hazelB
      Staff

Hi David! Sorry to hear you are experiencing this.

Some learners would see a blank page upon resuming a course you've updated in your LMS. You can choose to reset learner progress when they launch a course. Click here for more information.

If that still doesn't work please open a case with us here

• We are also still having this issue. It has been an issue for years and never seems to be fixed by Articulate. We had a course, tested it, book marked fine, left, came back, blank screen.

• Hello 
    We are receiving queries from customers that are experiencing the blank screen when the revisit the course.
    Reading the thread the issue seems to with the SCORM driver, can I please ask for the best solution for this while the fix the drivers is being investigated. 

May we ask is there a time frame for when a fix will be released.

GrenForonda
      Staff

Hi Tom! Did you choose to reset learner progress when they relaunch a course, as discussed here? If learners still see a blank screen despite this setting, please open a case with us here so we can look into this issue closely.

TomWhite-c03a2e
        Community Member

Hi Gren 
        Resetting the learners progress is an option but not ideal, we have found that versioning control is tbe best option within the LMS. Is there another possible soultion that Articulate could assist with.

MichaelGetz
    Community Member

Hi all,

I posted a solution to this issue that requires a simple edit to a function in the "scormdriver.js" file in the published Rise package on this thread:

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise-360/blank-screen-after-update?page=4 

Making this fix whenever you update a course will not not delete learners' progress. What it does to eliminate the blank page on restart issue is that it does not load the bookmark on restart - the screen/page where the user left the previous session. So it always launches the course at the opening screen, but the lesson/topic progress markers in the left-side menu and all learner progress are retained.

Hopefully Articulate will build a similar solution into Rise ASAP.

MikeAdamski
    Community Member

Hi all, I have a similar issue with a blank Rise package. Granted, this particular package only has an introduction and no lessons, and I do get a notification about not having any lessons when I publish in Rise 360, but I can still publish. We simply want a course introduction before the other SCORM/Modules appear in the course (all are loaded in separately as their own SCORM into the LMS).

Is there a reason the page is loading as blank? Does it not allow for just an introduction to appear above where lessons would be added? To reiterate, this particular SCORM has no lessons underneath the introduction we are trying to have appear.

DavidPuente
    Community Member

After three years supporting the blank page in SCORMs in a randomly issue I think the origin could be the SCORM module copies. In my customer case, the customer duplicate a course with lots of SCORMs several times during the year (30 or more). I think there is something wrong in the SCORMs copies which make possible the blank page in a randomly way.

My suspects are focus in the code ofuscation made by Rise... I can't see more ahead, but the issue affected my customer in the worst way. Any advance on this?

LaurenConnelly
      Staff

Hi David!

So sorry for the trouble! We've found this is only occurring with specific Learning Management Systems. Which one are you using?

As for the bug, we still have this logged as a bug with our team and it's not currently on our roadmap yet.