Articulate review: audio does not work on Chrome

May 10, 2018

Do any one has issues with audio of your projects in articulate review when you preview on chrome? (it works in mozilla, edge and safary but not in chrome)

12 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Mark,

There was a recent change with Chrome's playback of media, if the media is set to autoplay on the first slide. This change is impacting all Articulate courses, even those hosted in Review. You should see a play button on the first screen--once you click that button, the media should play normally throughout the course. 

If you're using the latest update of Articulate 360, and it's still not behaving as expected in Review, can you share a link to your course so that we can test it? 

Mark Hahm

I read that posting, but many times, the play button does not come up in AS Review when the page loads. The audio plays fine from the start in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.

At this point, I don't have authorization to share the course outside our organization.  Some of the information may be considered confidential.

Would adding some kind of trigger to play media in the first slide make a difference?  Like I mentioned earlier, the audio plays fine when it begins 2 seconds after the start of the page.

Alyssa Gomez

I completely understand you not wanting to share the file publicly, Mark. You always have the option of sharing it privately by clicking here. Our Support Engineers keep all files strictly confidential, and they can sign a NDA if you'd like. 

It sounds like there may be something deeper going on here, beyond Chrome's change in handing media autoplay. Even if you can send just the first slide, we can take a closer look at why this is happening. 

Vincent Fahy

It looks like Google rolled back this feature yesterday for some tweaking owing to negative feedback from online game developers.  The bad news is that they will be reintroducing it in October - hopefully they'll have some input from the e-learning community prior to that date.  More info here:  https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/05/16/google-chrome-66-muting-autoplay-rollback/

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks for linking to that, and you'll also see Justin's update on this here:

A quick update: Since the original release of Chrome 66 effectively broke a lot of web content, (such as e-learning courses with audio introductions), Google responded to the cries for help and rolled back their audio policy in an update to Chrome 66 on May 15, 2018. We recommend updating Chrome to the latest version, which allows audio to autoplay as expected.
But this reprieve is temporary. Google will stop autoplaying audio again in October 2018 when Chrome 70 is released. And with the software updates and content updaters mentioned above, you’ll be ready.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.