Audio not recording or uploading

Jun 20, 2019

I've tried to record directly into Rise but using an external microphone. Every time I try to record audio - by pushing the start recording button - it works and I am able to "record" but then when I push pause or stop recording, it goes back to the original edit audio screen or comes up blank. As you can see the audio comes up as aN:aN as the time stamp.

I have tested the mic on a windows and mac computer, my company has whitelisted the website, we have tested on every browser, every USB plug...  Rather than uploading external audio is there a fix to this that I am overlooking or missing?'

I tested it out again after restarting my computer and I was able to record but the audio started to skip. If I recorded 10 seconds, it would play over 1 minute of sound then play what I had recorded but be skipped in the audio. I closed out of the software and then it put me right back at square one when I tried it again and it gave me the blank screen.

Please help!

This is the link to the course. Please let me know if it works, or if we need to give you permissions: https://rise.articulate.com/author/iu-CZWqwXJKtmbRpj5bQiUqvknlPf8uE#/author/course

27 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Rachel! So sorry you've having trouble with recording audio. Does this problem happen no matter what web browser you use?

It looks like you sent us the Rise 360 authoring link, but we'll need the Share link to view the course. Would you mind sending us that Share link by clicking here? Then our Support Engineers can take a look!

Crystal Horn

Hello, Ashlie. There were some limitations with recording not working in older versions of Safari. Can you reach out here and let us know what browsers you've used and what you're seeing when you try to record? Sharing a Peek 360 screencast with us is a great idea, too. We'll be ready to dig in further!

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Alec. Let's test a couple things to see what's going on:

• Try refreshing the browser tab to see if you can record again.
  • If you are continuing to get hung up, try opening an incognito window.

If you don't have issues while working incognito, I would be curious about any browser plugins or extensions that you have enabled. You can work with my team here so we can troubleshoot more thoroughly!

IDEA Team

I just noticed these replies and comments after mine above - I am using Chrome and my computer's internal mic. The problem is sporadic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I get that weird time stamp that Jenny mentioned. It might be that Rise is trying to "connect" in that moment and it's not connecting/uploading the audio for some reason? The mic and sound are working fine and it seems like it's recording but just not uploading.  Also, it happens frequently enough to seem non-reliable. 

Gerrit Schmienmann

I´ve the same Problem, I´m using Chrome as well.

The problem is sporadic as IDEA wrote.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I get that weird time stamp that Jenny mentioned. It might be that Rise is trying to "connect" in that moment and it's not connecting/uploading the audio for some reason?

The mic and sound are working fine in my case as well. I use an external Rhode USB Mic and it seems like it's recording but just not uploading.

Also, it happens frequently enough to seem non-reliable.

S T

Getting the issue again, and even Incognito version of Chrome is not helping.

This is urgent work I need to do, and once again Articulate has let me down. I've spent all morning troubleshooting issues with Rise/Review. This isn't cheap software, whjy are there so many bugs????

I'll have to start investigating other software options. Articulate 360 has been a huge disappointment. Too mjuch time trying to fix tech issues.

I have now discovered that ALL the audio from ALL my Rise modules are not working now.

Cody Lutz

Has there been a fix for this issue? I have tried clearing cache- which worked for ONE recording- then straight back to the "an.an" error code. I have tried incognito, as well as signing out and back in to no effect. I have a large project due this week which requires large amounts of audio to be recorded and uploaded.