Change bullet color in Rise

Jan 15, 2018

In Rise, when I change the color of text to white, the bullets remain black.  Is there a way to make the bullets the same color as text?

324 Replies
Donna Bassolino

That worked ! Thanks

But one thing - it doesn't seem to show an ordered list

if I select
    Insert List from the block menus. However, if I type - then highlight and
    then select the list icon and hit return to break the sections into bullet
    points - THEN I can see the
      ... and the above works.

Thank YOU - we have been waiting 84 years for this !! LOL.

Donna Bassolino
That worked ! Thanks

But one thing - it doesn't seem to show an ordered list <ol>  if I select Insert List from the block menus.  However, if I type - then highlight and then select the list icon and hit return to break the sections into bullet points - THEN I can see the <ol> ... and the above works.

Thank YOU - we have been waiting 84 years for this !! LOL.
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Elizabeth! We've recently released our enhanced authoring controls, unlocking additional formatting features for your blocks.

I'm able to reproduce what you're seeing by using the auto-contrast setting on my text block. If the background color is dark enough, Rise 360 is automatically adjusting the text (and bullets) to white to meet accessibility requirements for contrast. You can format the text to be black, but the bullets remain white.

To fix this, try using the dark contrast setting, forcing your bullets to be black like your text. This setting overrides the accessibility guardrails we've added for contrast.

block background formatting menu with dark contrast selected

Let me know if that doesn't work!

Crystal Horn

Hi folks! Related to my above post, you may be able to use the enhanced block settings to change the bullet color in your bullet list blocks! This workaround will produce black or white bullets on a black or white background.

By default, the bullets in the list block adopt your course theme color. Try this workaround instead:

1. Open the new design menu on the right.
  2. Choose the Background tab, and select the Image background option.
  3. Next to the image, click Edit, then Overlay, and choose the light overlay for black bullets or the dark overlay for white bullets.
  4. Crank the overlay setting to 100%, and you should see bullets that match your black or white text!

bullet list block with black bullets and black text

Let me know how this hack works for you!

Donna Bassolino

Did their new upgrades mess this up ?

I had it working ... and now it works in preview - but once I close the edit window in Rise - it all reverts back to the black dots ... ugh ?

(The extrme colors are for testing purposes)

Phil Foss

Still works for me, I've noticed sometimes you need to make an additional edit in the text editor before hitting preview, to lock in that change. But the new contrast settings seem to take care of this is in most cases, but it seems that it will only use white or black. So if you want yellow you can still use the inline css method.