Course Progress Not Saved

Apr 12, 2018

Hello.  We are having issues with courses created in Rise and published to our LMS.  Our typical course is created in Blocks and contains 3-4 Lessons, each with multiple sections that are advanced by using CONTINUE dividers. When users exit the course using the course Exit button (set using the Export settings) and then return, it takes them to the beginning of the Lesson rather than the place within the Lesson where they left off. Also, even though they have completed a previous Lesson, the circular progress bar for that Lesson is only partially highlighted. Other notes - this is happening on both our LMS and on SCORM Cloud. Also, the good news is that when finished, the course is reporting as completed to the LMS. I appreciate your help.

40 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Glen!

Some LMS's won't receive completion data unless you include an Exit Course link inside your Rise 360 course. Crystal shared more detail about that in her post here.

There are two ways you can add Exit Course functionality to your course:

1. Add a button block, and set the button destination to "Exit Course."
  2. Publish the course for LMS, and on the publishing screen, toggle the "Exit Course" link to ON. 

Test the course again in your LMS, and let me know if the completion data is communicated correctly!

Glen Murdock

Yeah, we discovered after a bit of Googling/testing that the 'Exit Course' link was a good idea, so we'd re-exported it that way for the course pilot. 44/46 users were able to get that completion recorded in the LMS. I'd assume the other two are PEBKAC issues. It didn't seem to enable bookmarking when I was testing it, but I may need to change something in the config file in the LMS - It's always a checkbox or tiny setting somewhere....

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and as always Articulate has some stellar staff on this message board!

Glen Murdock

Just out of curiosity I tested the course and it bookmarks in SCORM Cloud but not SuccessFactors LMS. It doesn't ask "Would you like to resume where you left off?" like a Storyline course does, it just automatically takes me to where I was. As I figured, it's the LMS!

That's okay though, no need to dig into the bookmarking issue more deeply as we're not using Rise a lot due to its limitations in general (no source files to archive, information stored outside of Company network), just using it for the odd (small) limited-time-only course here and there. Bookmarking isn't an issue when a piece of learning is meant to be consumed in ten minutes or less! Thanks again for the help!

Deian Gueorguiev

For anyone still experiencing this issue I found a solution that I detailed in a reply to another thread. My Rise course saved progress on SCORM Cloud but not to our LMS. I opened a ticket with Articulate hoping they resolve the issue of Rise courses trying to auto-detect the communication protocol of the LMS instead of using SCORM 1.2 as chosen in the export settings.

TRAINING VISION INSTITUTE

Hi all, I hope Articulate has an update on this issue. Our learners have the same problem completing their Rise package on the LMS with 100% completion; however, after they exit the course and return for revision, their progress has gone back to 0%.

Can Articulate team take a look into this issue?

Cassie Leishman

Hi-- I am having a problem somewhat similar to this. The package is tracking progress and I can exit and reenter and pick up where we left off, so that's all great. My problem is that once the course is 100% complete and a learner wants to go back and look at a section as a resource, it is starting at the beginning again and since I have restriction set up in Rise they would have to go through the entire course again even though they've gone through the Rise course and LMS says they are complete and can revisit content without retaking. I am using UKG Learning Pro as my LMS. Any guidance would be super helpful. Thank you!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Cassie,

Happy to help! 

Certain learning standards such as SCORM 2004 3rd or 4th edition reset learners' attempts upon course completion. 

When completion is set to "Complete" the SCORM driver changes the exit type to "Finish" causing the LMS to discard any runtime data and start a new attempt as stated here. If you use these learning standards, consider switching to SCORM 1.2 or SCORM 2004 1st or 2nd edition to change the behavior. 

If you aren't using any of these learning standards, try testing your course in SCORM Cloud to test if the behavior is LMS-specific. If you can replicate the behavior in SCORM Cloud, please open a case with our support team here so we can look at what's happening.