Downloading Rise course for backup

Oct 08, 2018

Is there an option to download a Rise course to my computer and then upload it again to Rise in the future for editing? I am uncomfortable with the idea that I cannot keep a backup of my files. (I see there are some old discussions on this idea from about a year ago, and at the time there was no way to do this. But I'm curious what enhancements have been made in the past year.)

38 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jonathan!

Command + Z (Mac) and Control + Z (Windows) will undo text edits and text formatting, but it will not bring back a deleted block. Right now, Rise doesn't have a version history feature. 

If you delete a block, you'll see an Undo button at the bottom of the screen for several seconds. If you no longer see that button, you'll want to recreate the block again. 

Lon Goldstein

Adding another voice here requesting the ability to download archival source files for Rise courses. As someone above mentioned, these could of course be in a proprietary format that would require a Rise 360 subscription in order to re-upload and edit on the Rise site at a future date. In this way, you could still require that people have an active subscription to make any future updates.

With this current approach, as a freelance designer/developer it is a bit of a hard sell to a client organization to develop in Rise. In order to be able to make updates to a course I create for them, they will need to maintain an uninterrupted subscription until some unknown date (probably longer than 6 months) when may have to make updates. In the absence of this uninterrupted subscription, their content is not updatable, and would have to be rebuilt from scratch. (Alternatively, the client would depend on me the contractor to maintain my uninterrupted subscription, which could be a headache if Articulate development is not the only thing I do.)

I have to say, one could easily interpret this as a marketing strategy to maintain subscription numbers...and if so, it may work on large corporations with in-house training departments and/or flush training budgets. But it could certainly backfire and reduce the appeal of an otherwise very slick product! 

Thanks,

Lon 

John Heffner

So I work in the DOD contracting world. There is a now huge market for elearning course authoring software such as Articulate Rise.  But I have to agree with previous posts- not having the ability to store a local archive copy is quite a downside.  As Lon stated- having it in an Articulate propriety format seems fair to Articulate and fair to the consumer.

Alison Coops

I'm adding myself to this thread because we have a need to keep a copy of a course so the next time it needs to be updated, anyone in our unit could do it.  The link about making a copy of a course above was helpful.  I'm not seeing the same thing for question banks.  How can I either assign a question bank to someone else or send a copy to someone else?

Patrick Levesque

Also want to add my voice since I'm currently working on a project that operates on a three+-year life cycle, with two+ years of dormancy in between. Currently, we are required to pay a license fee even during the inactive periods when we are not actively working on our projects. Despite the lack of project activity, the licensing fee remains obligatory, posing a financial commitment that persists throughout the entire three-year duration. At present, we are exploring alternatives and considering abandoning Rise. However, in an ideal scenario, we would prefer to remain loyal to Rise. Having the ability to retain ownership of our documents during the dormant period and reintegrate everything upon reactivation would be ideal. Alternatively, a dormancy fee could also be a viable option.