NEW in Rise: Export for Translation

Jun 13, 2018

If you need to create courses in multiple languages, you’re going to love this new Rise feature. It allows you to export your course text to an XLIFF file* and then reimport it once it’s been translated. Like magic: all your text is replaced by the translated text. It’s that easy!

NEW in Rise: Export for Translation
*XLIFF files are a translation industry standard, so if you’re working with professional translators, then you shouldn’t have any issues. But what if the translations are being done by a fellow coworker or friend? No problem! If you do a quick Google search, you’ll find a ton of free tools that allow you to easily edit XLIFF files.

183 Replies
Irina Poloubessov

Dear Kelly,
This does not work for us unfortunately - our translators told me that when they open the eported Xliff file , their software reports an error of the source language and target language being the same (in our case english) and that they must be different.
I do follow the steps : first, duplicate the course, then export it in Xliff format from the duplicated course. Then our translators open it and (please see the screenshots) the Xliff file header has source and target the same. They told me I have to setup the target language to a different one. However there is no such option in Rise. Could you please advise me how to do it correctly? Thank you very much!

Ivor Thynne

Hi Kelly,

I have had the same feedback as Irina from our professional translation company.

They have worked out a way to engineer the files so they can do the translation and I can import the files back into the course however this is costing me more money for them to do this and it is reducing the savings made in translation memories.

Is there any thing we can do to export the file differently?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Irina, Ivor and Patrick, 

I know our team is looking into an issue where Rise XLIFF files cannot be edited in particular XLIFF translation application, and Trados was one that we also replicated the issue in. I'd like to know what other translation tools or applications you're using so that I can share that info with my team! 

Crystal Horn

Hi Susan.  It sounds like the HTML tags included in Rise's translation output is causing issues for your translation service.  We're still investigating this issue.

So that I can clarify the impact this issue has on you in our reporting, is your translation service unable to use the files at all?  Or is it a very costly workaround for them to modify the files before translating?  Lastly, are you also using Trados, or another service?  Thanks for your help!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks, Susan. I know it's a setup our team is looking into so we'll keep you posted here.

Also, it looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Charlie Sinclair

HI Ashley,

I get the 504 bad gateway when trying to export to XLIFF file format - my course is in English - at first I thought it was because it was a large file - but then I deleted all but one section and still the same result - I have tried on multiple browsers in case this affected it.

Any suggestions for this?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi, Prakash -- did you follow these steps when exporting your Rise course for translation? If so, what web browser were you using when you exported?

Hi, Karl -- Our Support team can help you get this sorted out. They'll want to get a copy of your course so we can test this on our side. Simply reach out to the team here, and they'll help you with next steps. 

Katie Riggio

Welcome, Karl!

My teammate, Alyssa, beat me to it 🌟 we were also wondering:

• What browser(s) are you experiencing this issue in? Here are the supported ones for authoring.
  • Does this happen with all of your Rise courses, or just this particular one?
  • Any chance your course title has the ™ symbol like this sample does? If so, we have this as a logged issue where the current workaround is to remove that particular symbol from the course title.

We'll be standing by!

Elena Tagliati

Hi, there is another issue. When the tags are in the middle of a word like apostrophe, the xliff comes out with ’ Of course the target language will have apostrophes in different positions. Does it mean that wherever they inserted an apostrophe in their translation they should replace it with ’ ? How would normal apostrophes appear when the xliff gets imported back into rise? Thanks

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Elena,

Thanks for reaching out to describe what you are seeing as well.

Are the HTML tags included in Rise's translation output is causing issues for your translation service or are you concerned that they might? We are still tracking reports and investigating issues.

Is your translation service unable to use the files at all?  I'm curious if you are you are using Trados or another service? 

Thanks for your help!

Elena Tagliati

Hi, they are using trados, i haven t imported the xliff back into Rise yet. The question was for the tags inside the text like apostrophes, as they obviously fall in different places than the original text in english.
For example, when the new sentence in french is "je suis d'accord", is it ok to write it like that, or they need to put "je suis d 《’》accord" instead?
If that has to be done everywhere there is an accent in french (and what about è,é,à, etc?) It becomes almost impossible to work with the xliff.
Thank you for your support on this issue!
Best regards

Crystal Horn

Hi Elena.  Thanks for elaborating.  We are currently investigating what changes we can make to how Rise generates the XLIFF files.  Trados is one of the tools we found to have an issue with the HTML tags that Rise includes.

At this time, Rise keeps those tags because text in Rise starts as an HTML field, and it wants to keep as much formatting as possible in the translation process.  Not all translation tools are handling the resulting XLIFF.  I understand this is an issue for you and other folks, so we're making sure we're prioritizing it correctly!

Tove Luther

Hi Leslie, 

Did you manage to solve the issue with the XLIFF flies not working in Trados? I've just been told by a translations company that they are also seeing the tags and so can't use the file I sent them. 

Any advice on this would be very welcome - we're planning translations into several languages and need a smooth process. 

Many thanks, 
Tove